6.5 x 284 Question

midwesthunter

Ok my grandpa gave me a Jap rifle that was a 6.5 that he rechambered to 6.5 x 284. It has a 30" barrel and ready for a scope. I'm not wanting to turn this gun into a bench rest rifle. I'm wanting to keep it the way it is providing the barrel shoots good. Couple questions i have is how do i find out what the twist rate of the barrel is? Where is a good place to get brass at? What is a good bullet weight for hunting whitetail to antelope with it? Thanks TJ

Last edited:
Use a cleaning rod with a tight patch. Insert the rod just past the chamber where you can feel the rifling. Make a mark near the handle (this will allow you to watch one revolution of the rod). Measure the distance from the back of the action to the handle (record the measurement). Push the rod in the barrel until the mark is in the same position (1 rev. of the cleaning rod). Measure the distance between the action and the handle again. The difference will give you the twist rate. Hope this helps. I would think Nosler or Berger bullets will work great.

Thanks I thought that is how i could figure out twist rate but wasn't possitive. I figured if any site could give me some info on this caliber it would be people in here.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts