6.5 x .284 I need load info.

Hey all, I have decent load information for the 140gr Nosler CC's, but I'm looking for guidance on loading up the Barness 120gr TTSX.
I'm using 4831sc, and Remington 9.5 primers. Any insight into a starting grain weight for the powder would helpful.

cfvickers, does RL17 give you the best velocity? I'm getting 2800 with 51 grains of 4831SC & 130 berger I thought that was a liitle low, but is it? Usually I'll find the load that is the most accurate then crono that load for my ballistic charts. I would like to get a load that is around 3100 with the 130 and 3000 with the 140 what would you recommend?

Joe

Mine is pushing 130 Bergers to 3195 fps without pressure but near max. RL17 gives better velocities by far. Start at 49.5 and work up. There isn't much data out there with the 130 but I posted mine on Reloaders nest in the load data section. I have it in .5 grain increments, it is at the bottom in unverified loads. My minimum was over 3000. Prior to that I had cases not fully expanded and carbon residue on the outside case walls. Max charge for my gun was 52.5 but it was a bad load, velocities suddenly became erratic and groups openned up a lot. I stopped at 52 you may have different results. My data was worked up using Fed 215 primers and it seems velocities are a little lower with other primers. But higher charges may be possible.

Looking at other's velocities and yours mule, I think I must somehow have an exceptionally fast barrel. I am not that up on what makes one faster than another, but I know I have run my velocities on two chronographs and they match closely. I am getting 2825 with 49.7 grains of H4831SC. But it is my most accurate load. RL17 I use 51.8 grains at 3195 and it gets .4 inch groups at 200. and 2 FPS ES. That 49.7 of 4831sc gets .3 or better at 200 but it is slower than I wanted to hunt with.

CFVickers,

Are you shooting this out of a Savage LRH? I just got mine and I'm looking for help on load data. I've yet to fire it and its killing me not to be pulling the trigger. I have RCBS dies on order and want to order bullets, brass, primers and powder. I will be hunting with this primarily so would like to focus on hunting bullets not target bullets. I was thinking of using the 140 VLD's to start with. Would you recommend something different?

Also I'm fairly new to the LRH scene. (we don't get LR options too often in New Hampshire) I'm heading to Kansas in December to hunt whitetail...what scope would you mount to this gun? My budget is around $700 for a scope and base. I've been looking in the optics for sale section and there are some 4.5 x 14 50mm that look good.

any help would be appreciated.

I shoot 48.5 gr. H4350 w/ 139 Scenars (Moly) and 50 gr RE17 w/ 140 Berger VLD (Moly). Shoot these in Midrange matches and both have done really well. The 139's shoot a little better than the 140's. I get 3014 fps with the 140's. Lapua brass, CCI br2 primers. Both are seated to the lands. If you don't moly coat bullets, start lower.

Scott

I'm sure you wouldn't want to eat any meat that has moly on it, but it will not affect the expansion of the bullet.

I guess that's what I was thinking. I have also heard that moly bullets can be detrimental to the barrel. The moly coating can be tough to get out of a barrel as well.

The biggest problem I seem to be having is getting any bullets in .264 with appropriate weight for reloading. It looks like everything is on backorder.

Anybody having any luck sourcing bullets?

I've used all the powders in the 6.5-284 and I've narrowed it down to two.
RL17 and RS Magnum.

Here's a load of 61.0 of Magnum with a 130 Swift Bullet. 3 shots for 3,150 fps mv.
P1000503.jpg

CFVickers,

Are you shooting this out of a Savage LRH? I just got mine and I'm looking for help on load data. I've yet to fire it and its killing me not to be pulling the trigger. I have RCBS dies on order and want to order bullets, brass, primers and powder. I will be hunting with this primarily so would like to focus on hunting bullets not target bullets. I was thinking of using the 140 VLD's to start with. Would you recommend something different?

Also I'm fairly new to the LRH scene. (we don't get LR options too often in New Hampshire) I'm heading to Kansas in December to hunt whitetail...what scope would you mount to this gun? My budget is around $700 for a scope and base. I've been looking in the optics for sale section and there are some 4.5 x 14 50mm that look good.

any help would be appreciated.

Yes I am. You will be thrilled with it. Both the 140 VLD and the 130 VLD are completely sufficient on white tail deer. You will have difficulty until after October (according to berger) finding the 130 VLD hunting. I bought mine when I got the rifle, I already had 140s because I have another 6.5-284 hunting rifle as well. I get pretty amazing velocities from the 130 and mine seems to be more accurate with them as well. But it is very accurate with anything. It will shoot a mix of just about anything and almost any velocity into an inch and a half group, that is, I can take 5 different bullets and have tried up to a 450 fps spread between them and it has never had one outside 1.5". If you or anyone wants my load data with VLD 140s and 130s and RL17 send me a message with your email. RL17 in my opinion is the ticket. Just be careful with loads over 51 grains/140 and 52gr/130 when your temp rises over 85 degrees.

SU37 where are the rest of them???

Thats a heck of a group. Believe you have found what your after. I haven't tried Magnum.

SU37...Nice group! I'll order both the RS Magnum and the RL17. What primers are you both using? I've heard best accuracy with the CCI BR2 primers, but I haven't ordered any yet.

How about the 140 A-Max for medium size game out to 1000, anybody have hunting experience with these.
Do the 130 vld hunting shoot exactly the same as the 130 vld targets? I am working a load with the Target bullets and am wondering if I can go and order 500 hunting bullets from berger and expect the same results?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.