6.5 wsm

tooth doc

What are the pros and cons of a 6.5 wsm? Seems like an easy wildacat. Neck down 270 wsm, load and shoot. Should be better ballistics than either saum or prc 6.5 s.

I've got one but haven't fired it. You can use 270 WSM brass or Bertram makes properly headstamped brass. I'm going to use 124 grain Hammer Bullets in mine due to a shorter barrel for suppressor use.

Slightly better ballistics than the saum/prc, but you should run a long barrel to take full advantage. If you're wanting a 24" or less pipe, go saum. There is very good brass and prime/norma has good ammo available otc now for a really economical price to get started. My only complaint is the norma brass has a bit thick neck for a standard 296 neck saum reamer.

That would be easy and make sense, dam you for taking the road less traveled, lol, that cartridge with a 26" pipe and the high BC bullets would be bad medicine for the deer and antelope out west

I have built a few of them for guys. Definitely a step above the saum or prc even in a 24" barrel. Downside is barrel life. Haven't seen one go past 700 rounds.

I have built a few of them for guys. Definitely a step above the saum or prc even in a 24" barrel. Downside is barrel life. Haven't seen one go past 700 rounds.
If you keep the velocity down to say 3100-or 3200 FPS for the 140,s will that help to increase barrel life. just because you can hot rod a cartridge doesn't mean you have to?

I've had one now for about 15 years its built on a Ruger tanger action that a Smith opened up the ramp and feedlips to feed. It's no worse on a barrel than a 28 Nosler just get your load developed and just hunt will it and it will last along time. Go the .296 neck dia. on your chamber and not the .300 no turn the .296 works alot better. As stated above just neck down 270WSM brass. I run 3220 with Berger 140VLD with H1000 out of a 26" tube.
The new Baney box from PTG or med. Length action like a tikka or long action is a must my O.A.L is 3.08
It's a great 6.5 hunting cartridge and very accurate.

Last edited:
That would be easy and make sense, dam you for taking the road less traveled, lol, that cartridge with a 26" pipe and the high BC bullets would be bad medicine for the deer and antelope out west
That was my thought also!

I have one built on a Remington 700 short action, I bought it that way. I'd recommend a long action, with 120 Nosler ballistic tips I can only fit one into the magazine due to length so it is effectively a 2 shot rifle. I am only pushing mine to 3160 with the 120's so hopefully I get decent barrel life. It is a .5 MOA shooter. I've shot 4 Michigan Whitetails with it and they are fell where they stood. Shots were from 165 yards to 370 yards.

I ran one for a couple years on a Model 70 classic CRF. It was really a great ride while it lasted. I am shooting the PRC now which I do like better on a short action. I was contemplating another WSM when the PRC showed up and I have to admit I have fallen head over heals. It just seams to be the perfect 6.5 combustion chamber. RL22 for the 125/130s and RL26 for the 140s. It is very fast from the 24". That said the WSM is very...very fast. I have been satisfied with the run of Hornady brass I got for the PRC - That has me in camp for good.

The 270 WSM with Norma brass is outstanding as is, but the bigger selection of 6.5 bullets make it an interesting option.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.