6.5 Swede vs 6.5 Creed

If you have extra room in the mag, might as well use it. As a reloader, 6.5 swede on lapua brass. 6.5 swede is actually the most affordable of all Lapua rifle brass.

What about 6.5x284?

If you are looking for factory ammo though, in North America - creedmoor no question!

So....
I have a really nice 93 Mauser sporter in 7mauser that the barrel is burned out. I toying with rebarreling itit. Any thoughts?
/

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

I have both chambering. There is something nostalgic about the 6.5 Swede. The 6.5 CM has a very good off the shelf ammo support for non-reloaders as Hand Skills noted. It boils down to personal preference and intended purpose.

I don't trust those actions with high pressure rounds so I'd go with 6.5X55. I have a M93 that I converted to .300 Savage because I had the .308 blank laying around when I bought the action for $50. I don't try to make it a .308 with my reloads as I try to stay with book loads 55K PSI or less.

The action is an intermediate length action and perfect for the 55 or 57mm length cartridges. The biggest issue with the M93 action is the gas handling in the event of a pierced primer or case rupture, and that's why I don't go with load data above 55K PSI. Adding a commercial bolt shroud will help some in the case of the two incidents I mentioned, but you'll need a trigger with a side safety with the new shroud.

You'll also run into an issue finding gunsmiths who'll work on M93 actions. Probably the easiest route would be to have ER Shaw do the work as they work on that action. The M93 also can make a good inline ML action.

Last edited:
You'll also run into an issue finding gunsmiths who'll work on M93 actions.

There are literally dozens and dozens of gunsmiths trained to work on Mauser actions. There is certainly no shortage of them in the U.S. I wouldn't let E.R. Shaw work on my squirt gun.

Catching two birds at the same time, call Lothar Walther Precision Tools and discuss your project with them. They are superb experts on all things Mauser as well as being an excellent barrel making company. They will guide you then make and fit your barrel to your action.

Lothar Walther Precision Tools, Inc.
3425 Hutchinson Rd.
Cumming, GA 30040

Phone: 770-889-9998
Fax: 770-889-4919
E-Mail: [email protected]

Good Luck with your project!:D

There are literally dozens and dozens of gunsmiths trained to work on Mauser actions. There is certainly no shortage of them in the U.S. I wouldn't let E.R. Shaw work on my squirt gun.

A lot of qualified Mauser GS turned me down on my .300 Savage build, as they wouldn't work on anything pre M96. There were a lot that wouldn't work on anything that wasn't a M98 as well. I'm guessing they didn't want the liability of some idiot shooting hot hand loads and injuring themselves.

I've not had any issues with the few ER Shaw barrels I've used on Savage rifles. Plus I wouldn't put a whole lot of money into a M93 action when I could go buy a new rifle cheaper in most cases. I don't know the quality of their GS work, but by their price list they are affordable and work on the M93 actions.

Opinions vary. I discuss quality work and suppliers, not third tier.

There are several levels of acceptability when it comes to quality. Those with little expectation or lack the ability or experience to discern quality often will use price as a discriminator. There is nothing wrong with Shaw when the expectations match the lack of quality. If it works for you, great.

Not everyone is willing to buy a Bartlein barrel then pay a top of the line gunsmith to fit it and cut the chamber. That's why there are companies such as Shaw, they fill the niche for people who need to pay less and don't require the best.

Last edited:
Opinions vary. I discuss quality work and suppliers, not third tier.

If you want to discuss quality work and parts, then why even discuss a build on a M93? It's a bottom tier action that can't even be brought up to third tier quality affordably. ER Shaw can put together a barreled action affordably for the OP that they can bang steel and kill a lot of deer with once they combine it with Boyd's or similar stock. It simply doesn't have to be top tier expense to be a fun rifle.

Read the third paragraph. That's exactly what I stated.

The M93 was good enough to whip our butts during the Spanish-American war. And when handled properly can be a fine action for mild cartridges useful for hunting and plinking nowadays. The reason they have been replaced as relevant is due to the much greater influx of modern actions. Remington has almost single handed pushed most of the military actions off the playing field. Now look at the number of custom action makers in the field of custom rifles. The demand is for the modern designed actions not the venerable older military action which most of the older gunsmiths cut their teeth on.

As I stated, if Shaw and Boyds get you excited that's wonderful.

Have a great day!:D

I've had several M98s rebarreled and semi customized. It isn't worth it to me to do it anymore. You can run in to all kinds of problems like soft steel in receiver and finishing whole gun the same. I wouldn't use a M93 action. But if you like the gun you can get it barreled easy enough. 7x57 and 6.5 Swedish would seem like good choices. It will cost you several hundred unless you are a machinist and can do the work yourself. Midway sells small ring mauser barrels and timney triggers for M93.
Cost wise you are better off buying a new rifle.
I had Shaw barrel several M98s and sometimes they did a good job. They are much more expensive now. Check out Lothar Walther.

I am a lover of fine Mauser actions. I've owned several very nice Oberndorf Mausers, and have three sporting rifles built on Mauser 98 actions.

But I have recently concluded the action is not really comparable to the modern sporting rifle actions that are being produced today using better materials and machining techniques. Latest example for me is a 6.5 Creedmoor I recently finished on a M98 Mauser action, and that I just cannot get to shoot as accurately as an off-the-shelf good quality commercial rifle.

Build a rifle on your M93 action for the beauty you see in the original rifle, but don't expect it to compete with a top-of-the line custom action. Nor will it have the strength to contain really hot modern cartridges.

The best thing you could do with your M93 is have it re-barreled to 7 mm Mauser.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts