6.5 super LR?

Well in that case, go with the 6.5x47 Lapua.
Mine is shooting the 130gr Bergers at just over 3000fps and is a joy to shoot.I have a muzzle break on it. That is out of a 26" barrel, so you would be at about 2950 with your 24 1/2" barrel.
I am not familiar with the CM, so I cant comment, but you would be very happy with the 6.5x47 Lapua.

How much powder and what kind are you using to get those results?

Why couldn't you put a 6.5-284 in a short action?

While it is possible to do, it can not be done right in SA because how far you would have to seat the bullets back in the case it would sacrifices a good bit of performance and at that point I would be better off with a round ment for SA.

How much powder and what kind are you using to get those results?

CCI 450 primer
42.2 gr H4350
130gr Berger going 300fps in a 26" barrel
If you want to shoot the 140gr or heavier bullet, go with something with more case capacity than the 6.5x47 Lapua. I am not saying it will not handle them, but there is an advantage with more powder for the heavier caliber bullet. But for the 130gr bullet it is an outstanding cartridge.
If I were to do a 6.5 on a short action, it would be either the 260 or 260 AI. I am not familiar with the 6.5-300 that LTLR mentioned, but it sounds great as well.

With a standard bolt face the 6.5-06 AI is a good one. I have it and the 6.5 Gibbs. The short neck on the Gibbs doesn't hurt it in 264 caliber and it is the most you can get out of a blown out '06 case. Mine shoots right at my 264 winchester velocities. About 50 fps difference. The 284 case is the next step down and it is very popular because the short case allows for long vld bullets to be seated way out and still feed well through your action. It is faster than the super LR and probably the most popular target long range 6.5.

LTLR....Wanna borrow my reamer and get some zip out of your A.I.? It will easily equal your Gibbs with a much better neck.
This would also be an excellent choice for the thread starter except he stated that he doesn't want to fire form.....Rich

I'd say the 6.5SLR has a leg up on the CM just because of the longer neck. The 6.5SLR is basically a 6.5x47L blown out. Same shoulder angle, longer neck. Won't burn out the barrel as fast as the 260 Ackley. They're talking 3500 rounds out of a barrel thats better than the 260, creedmore or 260Ackley. I'd say it's a winner. My next barrel will be the 6.5SLR.

xdeano

Yes id say it does to I was able to get in touch with the guy who actually made the 6.5 SLR Robert W he was kind enough to answer all my questions about the round.
and like I said before I had talked to several well respected BR shooters and gunsmiths none seems to think it was a bad idea but none of them had any experience with it except for one guy that made his one 6.5 based off of the 243 only difference was a 41 degree shoulder or something like that he was getting good results with it in any case using 139s.
In the end I decided to stick with the 6.5x47 laupa because the the guy who is making the rifle could not give me a accuracy guarantee with the 6.5 SLR understandable I guess since he has no load information about the round.
Oh well next barrel ill try the 6.5SLR and figure the reloading info out myself
If a gun is built right It should shoot good with any round.

Well, drat. Read all the posts from the start and expected to get here to the end and find a great report on the 6.5SuperLR. Am thinking of rebarreling a modern Win-Miroku 1885 High Wall with a 28" 1-in-8" barrel for 600/1000yd shooting and the 6.5SLR would be a great round. Very efficient round compared to the 6.5-06 and doesn't seem to burn up barrels like the 6.5-284. My biggest problem is the reamer of $156. Pretty steep. Am thinking the 6.5CM might be a reasonable alternative.

I just picked up a 6SLR reamer and go gauge. I figure it's just another investment, like brass. I can either use it several times for my own barrels, rent it out to friends for a few bucks so they can save some money and it'll pay for itself or sell it if I don't like the round.

So just look at it that way. A reamer will last about 15 barrels or so depending on who's doing the reaming, so that's like $12 bucks a barrel, that's not bad if you ask me. And if you charge a guy $25 bucks to cut a chamber, it'll be money in your pocket. Look at it that way.

xdeano

I went with the 6.5 saum. I'm shooting the 140 bergers at 3310. I tried some 120's and they shot at 3600. gun)

I'd go with the 6.5 SLR in your application. It's a practical, affordable, and efficient for what you're looking for. Like others have stated it's nothing "SpeciaL" however it's not your typical standard round.

I really am having a hard time in seeing the "practical" part of the 6.5 SLR.

Yes, check out the 5C groove design of the broughton barrel. They are faster than most barrels. Using 68gns of MRP2, jammed .005, BR2, Rem case. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.