6.5 STW info please!

J.J.H.

I recently puchased a Prairie Gunworks rifle in 6.5 STW. No load data was included from the previous owner,so Im on my own in this regard.Any recomendations of bullets or powder would be greatly appreiciated.I would be very interested to hear opinions of Swifts Scirroco 130gr. and Barnes 130gr.TSX. Thankyou.

HBFH
Can't help with the loads or the TSX.

However, I used the 130 gr Scirocco II this last year for whitetails. Terminal performance on 3 deer was good to very impressive. Bullets were launched at a rather tame 2720 and ranges were 150-250 yds, all exited with around a 2-2.5" exit wounds, one went thru both lungs, one went thru both shoulders, and one went thru the spine.

That was the good news, the bad news is they seem to be very difficult to get to shoot well. I tried them in a very accurate 6.5-284 (.2-.4 with 140 gr SMKs) and a 6.5 wssm. I finally gave up on them in the 6.5-284 as I couldn't get them under 1", but did get one load in the wssm that would hold just under an inch , that's what I used for taking the deer.

Both rifles wear custom barrels, a PacNor and a Rock Creek, they both fouled very badly with the Scirocco which they don't do with they other bullets I've tried in them.

Hope that helps some

Chris

Hello,thanks for the info.I have had great results with both X-bullets,and Scirrocos pushed very fast in my Weatherbys,which is why I thought they would be a good starting point for load development in the STW.I too have experienced accelerated fouling with both these bullets.Your comment about mediocre accuracy with 6.5mm hunting bullets is something I have also heard.I was told 6.5s (particularly 140gr) dont like to be pushed fast.I realize thats a fairly general statement but is there validity to it?Are there any other controlled expansion bullets to recommend for this caliber?(Hornady SST?)
Thanks again.

HBFH

I use both guns for hunting, no competition, so I'm looking for a bullet that will hold together at 10 yds and still open up at 750 yds. I also want good terminal performance like DRT or within 50 yds. That said:

I've tried the 140 gr Amax, SST, SMK and the 130 gr Scirocco, the SST and Scirocco have given me the best results so far, but would like both to be a little more accurate.

The deer I have shot with the SMKs gave no indication they were hit and managed to make it 100+ yds before dropping, but they did die so the bullet works just not what I personally want.

The SST is just a little tougher version of the Amax, both gave decent accuracy and good terminal performance, However that was at a MV of 2700-2950 I don't think I'd make either my bullet of choice out of a STW especially if you might shoot something that just stepped into view at 20 yds and was quartering towards you...Messsyy

Other than the Wildcat bullets, which I may eventually try, the only other bonded bullet I would recommend would be the 130 gr. Accubond and that is based on their performance in other calibers. I have some 6.5 Accubonds loaded to try but just haven't found the time or right conditions to try them yet.

Chris

Thanks for the replys,I will definetley try the Wildcat bullets as I can get them local.The 130gr. Accubond will also be tried.I have mixed feelings about the Noslers though,I used 140gr. Accubonds in my .270 Wby for a couple of seasons and wasnt very impressed.I found the jacket to be more brittle than the material used by Hornady in its Interbond,and Swifts Scirocco.(I realize the Swift is a pure copper jacket)Therefore the Nosler's tended to fragment as opposesd to "peel" back like the others did.They are a fantasticly accurate bullet though(at least in my experiences)but I dont feel they retain weight as well as other bonded offerings on the market.I ultimately settled upon the 140gr. TSX for that rifle.

Thanks again for the help. Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.