6.5 ss final design

We are getting close! Received the Whidden micrometer/bushing dies today and formed a couple of cases. GOOD NEWS! I was able to form from a 7 saum with ONE stroke if I was very careful and slow. I then trimmed to 1.96" and turned the neck to .295" (loaded round). The picture is this case loaded to 2.8" coal with a 160 Matrix. This will fit in a std. Remmy 700 box! The go gauge is supposed to be shipped today or tomorrow at latest. Then we chamber and try this baby out.........Rich DSCF0523.jpg

DSCF0526.jpg

Thanks True! You can be as gooey as you want Tank! I did not check the runout but the case will be fire formed to blow some of the taper out of the case which will complete things. The process so far is pretty easy. If I can continue to successfully resize in just one step, this won't be much more difficult than a std. cartridge. Once the shoulder is pushed back and the neck sized, you simply trim to length and turn the necks a little. It will probably shoot as well as say, an A.I., before it is formed......Rich
Using R.P. brass. 300 saum Norma is supposed to be available next month.....

I am having a 6.5 SAUM built. Brass is the only drawback. There is a thread on snipershide about GAP getting incredible velocity, low pressure, and 3400+ rounds of barrel life.

Rich
You have a great project here please hurry!!
Just ran the #s on comparing the ballistics on the matrix 160@3100fps bc 720 vs the 140 gr Berger @3200 fps BC 613
The extra weight and BC don't really give that much advantage
@ 1000 yds both bullets still carry over a ton of energy
With the 160 dropping 1.7 Moa more
Wind wise about the same
The 160 has 120 fpe
more energy both pretty impressive

Rich
You have a great project here please hurry!!
Just ran the #s on comparing the ballistics on the matrix 160@3100fps bc 720 vs the 140 gr Berger @3200 fps BC 613
The extra weight and BC don't really give that much advantage
@ 1000 yds both bullets still carry over a ton of energy
With the 160 dropping 1.7 Moa more
Wind wise about the same
The 160 has 120 fpe
more energy both pretty impressive

Thanks Terry.....I think where the 160 will really shine is the high sectional density. With a .264 diameter, say on an elk, this will give that skinny pill some big boy attitude! Closer up, the extra weight will allow enough bullet to hold together to do some real damage even on a shot that might be a little off. Also, at long range, the extra weight in the same thickness jacket will aid in expansion by exerting more force on the nose. With a little luck, I'll tell you what it does on a bear next month....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.