6.5 Sherman Build =)

Mine is in Lake Havasu AZ. Waiting for it to ship to Canada. Had it built by Jim Borden.I am running out of patience!

For those building or who have built a 6.5 Sherman, what actions are you building off of?

I was set on a Rem 700, but I've been liking the look of the Howa 1500/vanguard action. Not gonna lie, I don't really care for the look of a Savage though.

Any real pros/cons? I know the Howa has metric threads (which some smiths don't like to deal with). Is anyone inherently more accurate?

For those building or who have built a 6.5 Sherman, what actions are you building off of?

I was set on a Rem 700, but I've been liking the look of the Howa 1500/vanguard action. Not gonna lie, I don't really care for the look of a Savage though.

Any real pros/cons? I know the Howa has metric threads (which some smiths don't like to deal with). Is anyone inherently more accurate?
I built mine on a Howa stainless. Several smiths told to pick either the Howa or Tikka unless I went full custom. So far, the rifle shoots like a dream =)

I appreciate the input!

Sorry I've got another question for you guys....

I really like the look of the Manners stocks and saw a few with detachable box mags. Are most of you guys running normal hinged floor plates or are you using DBM? My only concern with DBM would be limiting the OAL of a cartridge, but that can happen with a normal hinged floor plate design as well.

I'm primarily wanting to stick with bullets in the 142-150 weight range, but the 160 Matrix sounds awesome for elk.

If you do use DBM, I'm assuming I'd have to slightly modify a 300 WM magazine to function with the
Sherman case.

I appreciate the input!

Sorry I've got another question for you guys....

I really like the look of the Manners stocks and saw a few with detachable box mags. Are most of you guys running normal hinged floor plates or are you using DBM? My only concern with DBM would be limiting the OAL of a cartridge, but that can happen with a normal hinged floor plate design as well.

I'm primarily wanting to stick with bullets in the 142-150 weight range, but the 160 Matrix sounds awesome for elk.

If you do use DBM, I'm assuming I'd have to slightly modify a 300 WM magazine to function with the
Sherman case.
I'm running the hinged floor plate on mine. I've got the 150gr Matrix bullets loaded up with an overall case length of 3.43" which is what my rifle likes.

May I make a comment, Without starting a $#!+ storm. . . Please.
Fragile bullets blowing up is n age.old problem. . A bullet that is designed to be accurate and expand reliably at long range, reduced velocity ( lower velocity) . Can not hold up to high impact velocity on a fairly solid object.
I know some may consider it polluting their barrel but had you taken that shot with a 120 gr mono metal expanding bullet like a TTSX, GMX, E Tip, GS HV, CEB ect. Or even a 130 gr TSX, 140 gr Swift A Frame. 140 or 160 gr Woodliegh PP, Or even a 140 gr Hornady Interlock fb Spitz.
You would be posting pics of your dead bear.
I know this is LR. But in real world big game hunting, a lot of times shots come at close range.
I have been going around and around with.myself about long range hunting and the rifle that I want to hunt with . Not just long range but all the hunting I want to do here in the Interior. . The 26" barrel doesn't lend itself to walking thru.the brush or the vehicles needed to access where I hunt. . I finally decided and shortened the barrel on.my 65 Cm Hawkeye to 18 1/2" and put.it back.into the factory synthetic stock. .
Tho I lost 200 fps velocity. It still was printing sub 1" groups at 300 yards. .
I have a few different loads for the rifle. One of them is a 140 gr Berger Hunting VLD . It still flies flat enough for beyond my capabilities at this time. But the 130 gr Sirocco load is still my general purpose big game load. It is now doing 2700 fps. Which is still adequate. The 144 gr Lapua fmjbt at 2550 is still just great for predator pelts. And I'm working up a 130 gr TSX load for moose and black bear.

Again please don't get poed.
Perhaps you need a load like the old 160 gr RNSP 264 Win Mag load factory.load for the close in shots.
At.long range you will have time to change loads

May I make a comment, Without starting a $#!+ storm. . . Please.
Fragile bullets blowing up is n age.old problem. . A bullet that is designed to be accurate and expand reliably at long range, reduced velocity ( lower velocity) . Can not hold up to high impact velocity on a fairly solid object.
I know some may consider it polluting their barrel but had you taken that shot with a 120 gr mono metal expanding bullet like a TTSX, GMX, E Tip, GS HV, CEB ect. Or even a 130 gr TSX, 140 gr Swift A Frame. 140 or 160 gr Woodliegh PP, Or even a 140 gr Hornady Interlock fb Spitz.
You would be posting pics of your dead bear.
Not looking to start anything but honestly how can you do better than breaking both shoulders and destroying the vitals? A 120 TSX would have maybe broken the same bone, maybe, but it certainly would not have produced a wound channel that would have killed the bear in 40 feet, not bring that bear home had ZERO to do with bullet!!!
The reason we went to Matrix and started getting some heavy 6.5's made was because of taking heavy game like elk with bullets like the TSX or CEB mono or the bonded bullets, we needed more destruction to vitals and the ability to penetrate elk. Having shot both the CEB's and Matrix extensively the Matrix does everything the CEB's do only you get a larger wound, and I like the CEB's but you can not even begin to compare the wound channels which is what kills game!!

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

But the bullet blew up on a sapling as I understood the o p. A tougher bullet would have blitzed thru it and penetrated into/thru the bear. ? Unless I misread the o p. Fragile bullets have always been a problem for close encounters.

[QUOTE=wilkup;987607
I've been using RL33 to push these bullets at 3184FPS. Last night I attempted to tag a bear but had the bullet explode on brush before contacting him! I figured this out today after searching for blood over 3 hours and finally calling Rich to ask if there is any way this round could have failed and just penciled through on him...
Before you call BS on the bullet shotgunning on a bush, I know there's no way I could've missed because I made the shot from no more than 40 yards.

Sounds like bullet blow up to me. ???????

This is from the OP in another thread

" I shot the bear at ~40yd 10 minutes before last light. The bear made it 40-50' from where I hit him but the brush was so thick I decided it was wiser to come back at first light and recover him. My dad and I went out the next morning but couldn't find him or even any sign he'd been shot and after searching over 4 hours decided I must've missed or the bullet had blown up on brush on the way in. I found him, rather smelled him, 10 days later while hunting the same area. After surveying the poor guy I saw my shot had busted both shoulders and shredded his vitals!"

Sorry guys, been working multiple threads for different reasons and some things have not been addressed here. BNG is correct about what I posted on another thread. (I'm posting from my phone, so will post a link to details tomorrow)
I'm struggling with what happened with my bear and trying to make sense of it all.
I'm not trying to start anything or bad mouth an excellent company. Right now I'm trying to honestly figure out if there's another bullet option that would've helped create a different outcome.
Truthfully, the Matrix 150gr did almost exactly what I expected, the only reason I'm rethinking is the lack of any blood trail at all. It's hard to beat 2 broken shoulders, destroyed internals, a dead bear 40' from the shot.
The combination of heavy brush and no blood trail made the recovery of this bear impossible. The only reason he was found is because he started rotting in the heat, I smelled him and went to investigate.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.