6.5 Sherman AKA meat stick strikes!!!

Tank
The Sherman uses a 270 Win case that is improved alot.
The load I am shooting uses 63gr. of Retumbo with room for a bit more. Cliff

Cliff....Sounds like that 6.5 shoots a little flatter than you're use to:D. Great job and congrats on your season.......Rich

Rich,
I have been having a bit of a time getting use to shooting it. I have 40 years of mental wiring for this rifle in '06 to undo and I am finding that it doesn't happen overnight. It is so sweet to shoot, I am looking forward to being able to get some range time with it when work finally slows down.
BTW those Hornady dies are something. I kind of choked on the cost but after using them I think they are worth every dollar. The sizer is so well matched to the reamer that I sized a bunch one day without using any lube at all. After about 20 or so cases it seemed to take a bit more effort than normal and then I saw the unopened can of lube on the table and realized what I had done.
Thanks Rich for the work you have put into this cartridge, it is every bit I had hoped for. Cliff

Rich,
I have been having a bit of a time getting use to shooting it. I have 40 years of mental wiring for this rifle in '06 to undo and I am finding that it doesn't happen overnight. It is so sweet to shoot, I am looking forward to being able to get some range time with it when work finally slows down.
BTW those Hornady dies are something. I kind of choked on the cost but after using them I think they are worth every dollar. The sizer is so well matched to the reamer that I sized a bunch one day without using any lube at all. After about 20 or so cases it seemed to take a bit more effort than normal and then I saw the unopened can of lube on the table and realized what I had done.
Thanks Rich for the work you have put into this cartridge, it is every bit I had hoped for. Cliff

I'm glad you are enjoying it Cliff. Sounds like it couldn't be owned by a better guy!......Rich

He'd be a lot happier if Vortex would get a PST in for him, Leupold is holding the meat stick back!!! :D Look out next year though, I'm going to have to build a longer range rifle just so I get a shot gun)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.