6.5 SAUM - Was it a wise choice for Western hunting?

I say shoot as much gun as you are comfortable with. It might be a 6.5 to a .375 but caliber dies not compensate for bad shots. I know several people that would be better off with a 30-06 but still shoot a 300, there shooting goes south too much kick for them. I'm not a elk hunting pro I have killed several but if you shoot what you have confidence in and comfortable with that's half the battle.

The number of elk I've killed with one 140 Berger starting out at 3200 fps in the 800 yard range is stupid, 600-800 is MONEY, everyone who comes out here to hunt elk wants to know what gun to bring and I like to seen guys bring their deer rifles, the rifle they pull out and just whack and stack with cause when they see how big an elk is in their scope they can still hold it together with old reliable and put a shot on. The numbers of times I've seen a wreck with a rifle a guy shoots only for elk is of the charts, I'll make them shoot my rifle cause they do better!!

Your 6.5 will be perfect out west for elk or moose. Lots guys on here are going to claim you need some sort of a 300 magnum for elk and moose. Don't listen to them...I fell for that BS and had a 300 wby and 300 rum and now I shoot a 270 wsm and its hits elk just as hard as my rum - results have been the same, maybe a couple steps and dead. I am shooting 145gr eldx bullets. Before my 300 mag craze I was using a 25-06 and knocking the wind out of them with a 115gr berger. Most these guys claiming you have to shoot 300 mag are from back east and didn't grow up hunting them.

Nothing wrong with owning and hunting with the big mags, you just don't need them.

Now now now Figjam, both you and I know that anything under a 416 Rigby would just be unethical. Lol

Darin, that is more than enough rifle, just make sure you pick the right bullet for the job

If your well versed at long range shooting, know your vital area size and how far out you can reliably hit it with your rifle in field conditions.
If you're "all about ethical kill", then be strict with what shots you'll take.
6.5 should be just fine with the right bullet selection within your limitations.
Only thing I see bad with "bigger is better" is than many hunters are willing to take a poor shot thinking (consciously or subconsciously) that the cartridge will make up for badshot placement.

Your 6.5 will be perfect out west for elk or moose. Lots guys on here are going to claim you need some sort of a 300 magnum for elk and moose. These dudes are just trying to compensate for a small ——. Don't listen to them...I fell for that BS and had a 300 wby and 300 rum and now I shoot a 270 wsm and its hits elk just as hard as my rum - results have been the same, maybe a couple steps and dead. I am shooting 145gr eldx bullets. Before my 300 mag craze I was using a 25-06 and knocking the wind out of them with a 115gr berger. Most these guys claiming you have to shoot 300 mag are from back east and didn't grow up hunting them.

Nothing wrong with owning and hunting with the big mags, you just don't need them.
Thank you for the honest opinion. I used a 270 WSM for many years whitetail hunting. Thing was a hammer... should've never gotten id of it. Beginning to feel like maybe I did make a good decision... after all, I feel that it's wrong to buy a rifle/caliber based on the 5% of usage on a different species, when 95% of the time it will be used whitetail hunting. Thanks again!

I appreciate everyone's advice, opinions, and facts! Great community here and since I'm new to Western hunting I'm trying to learn as much as possible before next year. I agree with the fact that taking a shot that I feel comfortable with is paramount. My experience shooting long range can only help when I take closer up shots (kind of like shooting my bow out to 90 yards.... will I ever kill a deer that far? probably not...but it makes those 20-50 yard shots easy!) - Sort of the same concept.

I built a 6.5 SAUM and think its one of the best of both worlds hunting rifle. Light enough recoil yet strong enough for about anything. You will be fine. Load up a couple bullet types and you'll be ready for anything.

6.5 salami will Definitely do the job! Here's a video of best of the west. It's a kill video of maybe 30-40 kills and 99% of them are 6.5-284's with a 143eldx. So around 2900fps I would assume. Elk/Moose included and wildebeests too. I personally shoot 130-140 bergers, they for me are more accurate and they flat out kill stuff quickly.

6.5 SAUM is a great choice, especially in a lightweight rifle. Being able to spot your impacts is one of the best things about it. The lighter recoil allows you to stay in the glass better than a harder recoiling round. It carries plenty of speed and energy out there for elk. Don't get too wrapped up in the energy thing either. A bullet that expended well and penetrated far is all you need, and may bullets penetrate farther with the lower impact velocities you're looking at on longer range shots. My SAUM runs 130s at 3220 out of a 20" barrel and reaches out plenty far. You made a great choice.

I wasn't convinced on the 6.5's and elk/moose. (Still not convinced on moose.) Last could of years I've just seen too many successful elk hunters taking game with 6.5's. I think you'll be fine under 500 yards. My preference is for the 7mm Rem Mag. But 6.5's will work fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.