6.5 rem mag xp100??

cowboy717

Hey guys. Just curious about this old cartridge and was wondering about everyone's thoughts on this. Wanting to build a long range xp center grip and since this old caliber was in the 660s I thought it might make a good match. Of course I'd wanna long throat it. But it may be cool to mess with

The case head size is bigger which would require opening up the bolt face. Finding brass may be a problem. A 6.5-284 may be a better fit. Brass and loaded ammunition are available. And you wouldn't have to mess with the bolt face. A good muzzle brake is a must with either one. Just my $.02 worth.

I think it would make a good choice in a center grip XP. I've always liked the 6.5 RM.

I actually like it better than the 6.5-284 round.

Brass availability would be the only issue. Better research that before you jump into one. I'd expect it to be hard to find, maybe even next to impossible.

Regards,
Rog

You could even order a bolt from PTG if you want.
The 6.5 RM, 6.5 SAUM, and the 6.5 Leopard (WSM) all will work good in the XP platform.
Don't have a Rem Mag, but have the SAUM and WSM, plus a couple of 6.5-284's.
Whatever you go with check on availability of brass.
Barrel length can be an issue too.
Personally, I would NOT want any of the Mag's with a 14-15 inch barrel.

I own a 350 rem mag(rifle). Brass for the 350 is very hard to find and I would say the 350 is a more popular cartridge. Being un willing to pay for nosler custom brass for what I need this rifle to do and rem brass being back ordered for about 3 years it seems, I make my brass out of easily obtainable 300 win mag brass. The task is very labor intensive. The task is very labor intensive. Just want to make that clear. Necking it to 6.5 seems doable but adds time to an alerady long process. Cool cartridge but I would have to suggest a 6.5 with easier access to brass and ammo.

I'm still researching brass availabilty. Would really like to play with this old caliber though. I've thought of the 6.5 saum but want to build another in 7 saum at some point so I don't want to mix up brass accidently. So its still in the works. May have to make some brass out of something else. :)

Well I'm thinking seriously about getting the redding form and trim die to form brass. Says can be formed from 7mm rem mag and 338 win mag. Which brass would you guys start with? Will be my first time forming brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.