6.5 PRC - Make143 ELD-X work

cbk57

I am not trying to insult anyone with this tread, I am not looking for ideas, I am looking for help from someone who knows and has experience with my problem.
From my previous tread I am thinking I want to use the 143 ELDX for Elk hunting.
My Christiansen will consistently shoot sub MOA at 500 with 147 ELD-M, I struggle to shoot a
1.5 MOA at 500 when I switch to 143 ELD-X.
At present I have both in factory rounds from Hornady I do reload and I'm accumulating brass so I can try to correct the problem
I cannot seat the bullet any longer than what the factory rounds have without magazine problems
Please help if you can.

EDLX just don't shoot well in some guns. I've tried them and it's about 50/50 if a gun will like them. 7wsm 162 Edlx drives tact's with them. 6.5-06 not so much but 6.5-06 shoots 140 EDLMs great. If you don't reload I would waste time and ammo trying to tweak factory ammo

1.5 MOA still in kill zone of an elk at 500, that usable just have to limit your range to about 600

Instead of seating the bullet longer, lets go deeper. Start at 30k off the lands or consider your magazine length as "jam" and go 30k off of that measurement. Then go deeper finding your node. Then just do your load development as normal.
Give this a look….
Thank you
I was going to use H 1000 it looks like it's pretty Full case ,if I set the bullet deeper do you think I have room for that or would you suggest something Faster that I wouldn't have to use as much of

Reloader 26 with 143's a friend uses and it shoots very well. I haven't tried anything 143's in mine I use 135's but not for elk I have a 300 rum for elk…

Thank you
I was going to use H 1000 it looks like it's pretty Full case ,if I set the bullet deeper do you think I have room for that or would you suggest something Faster that I wouldn't have to use as much of
There are some factors that need to be considered with compressed loads, and if you have some powder options there may be one more suitable…. I sent you a PM

I'd try H-1000 or, RL-26, and TUNE, the Bullet, as you should EASILY get, 3/4 MOA or, LESS for, a Hunting Rifle, Load.
Berger, 140 gr. Elite Hunters WILL "shoot", ( your, next best, bullet, to try ) IF that, ELD-X, doesn't, "Work".
Hornady's ELD-X, Factory Length Ammo, ( might measure, THAT, ammo's, COAL ) shot GREAT for, my Grandson in his New Savage 110 Lite, Carbon Barreled, Rifle. The ELD-X's can, "Jump",. .020 to .120 just, Fine ! Might try, a slightly, shorter, COAL than, Factory ?
He had 3, One Shot Kill's, on Deer, ALL "Pass Thru's" or, just under, the Hide at, 225 to 468 Yards ( good Penetration ) One / Two, Hop's and DRT !
Lots of guys ARE using them, on Elk in a PRC to,.. 600-700 Yards.
I'll be using the ELD-X, in my 6.5 Creed for, Deer. Good Luck !

Last edited:
I'm using the 143 ELDX in my X bolt long range MAX in 6.5 PRC. Getting .5moa using RE 26 @ 3030 fps. Its going to be just start reloading and try some powders and some nodes until you find one your gun likes. RE26, Retumbo, H 1000 and IMR4955 have all given me over 3000fps with that bullet and no pressure. RE26 and IMR4955 were the most accurate both .5moa I have a load for both in case I run out of RE26 again...its very hard to find.

I am not trying to insult anyone with this tread, I am not looking for ideas, I am looking for help from someone who knows and has experience with my problem.
From my previous tread I am thinking I want to use the 143 ELDX for Elk hunting.
My Christiansen will consistently shoot sub MOA at 500 with 147 ELD-M, I struggle to shoot a
1.5 MOA at 500 when I switch to 143 ELD-X.
At present I have both in factory rounds from Hornady I do reload and I'm accumulating brass so I can try to correct the problem
I cannot seat the bullet any longer than what the factory rounds have without magazine problems
Please help if you can.
Use the 147. We took two elk with it last year. One at 477 and one at 550 yards. Worked just as good as the 143

I've never had an issue with 143's shooting well in any chambering via reloads. Never shot factory ammo so can't answer that but….. i would seat that 143 factory round .010, .020, .030 deeper and see if it cleans up.

Also, I'd hunt with the 147 and not worry about it. They work well.

I shoot Bergers in my 7mm WSM. They are seated too long to fit the magazine, so I load the magazine with short rounds, and use my rifle like a single shot. After all, the plan, to drop them with the first shot. At long range, you usually have time to load another long round anyway. Only time I ever loaded a short round was when my first shot was at a cougar.

Recent Posts