6.5 PRC bullet choice

Prieto9000

I just finished my 6.5 PRC project and I'm in the process of finding a good load for it.
So far the berger 140 VLD, Elite Hunter 140 and 143 ELDX have been the most accurate bullets out of it with groups consistently being around 0.5 moa.
I built these rifle for 600yd and under white tail-aoudad hunting and bought a lot of nosler 130gr Accubond and Barnes 127 LRX bullets but so far I haven't been able to find a decent load with them.
I've had some very bad experiences using Hornady 147 ELDM on tougher game such as the Aoudad at close range (bullets not penetrating) and feel a little concerned that the bergers and eldx will have the same issues.
Should I try to find a load that make the tougher bullets work on my rifle, or just be confident that the bergers and eldx's will get the job done??

I'm in the same boat. I've loaded up 143 eldx in my rbros 6.5 prc and they shoot .25 or better, but I'm worried about close shots on elk/deer.
My intentions are to find a load with accubonds or the like that shoot close to impact with my eldx at 200 yards or less and have my first round ready to chamber a tougher bullet. If the need arises for a long shot just take that rounds out and use the eldx.

It looks like the accubonds and LRX's finally showed some future. I just had to lower the powder charge and seat them further back.

Nosler Accubond

76099A68-94E2-4D37-A9BE-2C7C6EAAD864_1_102_o.jpeg

Barnes LRX

BE38EE1E-0354-4499-9D7A-074C440F5795_1_102_o.jpeg

Can't speak to auodad but on big mulies I've had no issue with 140 vlds with a muzzle velocity of 3100.
Those **** critters are pretty hard. Shot one in the shoulder @180yds using hornady 147 ELDM @2820 fps MV and lost the animal. I clearly saw the shot right in the center of the shoulder an he ran off like nothing happened. Tried to track him for about 3 hours but couldn't find it.

The ELD-M's ( 140's - 147's ) have a .023 thick Jacket at, the "Shank" vs the .037 thick Jacket at, shank of,.. the ELD-XXX !
Eld-X's, Berger's 140, H-VLD's and Elite Hunters, WILL STAND the Velocity and give you, the Penetration NEEDED for, the PRC !
I shoot 140 Classic Hunters at 3,185 FPS out of, a .270 WSM and shot thru, BOTH shoulders of, an Elk at about, 100 Yards and NOT much,..
Meat loss ! The ELD-M's are NOT good for, Bone penetration !

Last edited:
I've killed elk with the 143 ELD-X at 200 yards and 500 yards. Both exited and expanded. Haven't had one fail me yet. I have boxes of accubonds but they have lower BC and harder to find loads for. They're tougher for sure

I just finished my 6.5 PRC project and I'm in the process of finding a good load for it.
So far the berger 140 VLD, Elite Hunter 140 and 143 ELDX have been the most accurate bullets out of it with groups consistently being around 0.5 moa.
I built these rifle for 600yd and under white tail-aoudad hunting
and bought a lot of nosler 130gr Accubond and Barnes 127 LRX bullets but so far I haven't been able to find a decent load with them.
I've had some very bad experiences using Hornady 147 ELDM on tougher game such as the Aoudad at close range (bullets not penetrating) and feel a little concerned that the bergers and eldx will have the same issues.
Should I try to find a load that make the tougher bullets work on my rifle, or just be confident that the bergers and eldx's will get the job done??
The 140 Berger VLD is hard to beat, esp. for LRH. I am a heavy for caliber guy and will be loading the 156 and 140 Bergers on me.264 WM. Do not let anybody, including myself talk you out of it.

It looks like the accubonds and LRX's finally showed some future. I just had to lower the powder charge and seat them further back.

Nosler Accubond

View attachment 354877

Barnes LRX

View attachment 354878
That's the beauty of reloading, finding the right accuracy node for your load/rifle. Have fun with it.

Good luck and happy safe reloading and hunting.

Ed

I've had good experiences with the 124 Hammer Hunter. Sub moa groups and predictably accurate out to 500 yards. Killed 2 whitetail last fall with broadside high shoulder shots, both exited. Also killed 3 hogs at ranges up to 300 yards. All hogs were head shots, one was a frontal, all exited. All 5 animals required no tracking, they were dead right there. Search out the "Official hammer bullets terminal performance thread" you'll find lots of great info.

If you're really staying inside 600, i'd push that 127LRX as fast as I possibly could & send it. Barnes like to jump, looks like you figured that out already.

t

If you're really staying inside 600, i'd push that 127LRX as fast as I possibly could & send it. Barnes like to jump, looks like you figured that out already.

t
They do like to jump, they just don't go as fast as I'd like in this particular rifle. I'm getting 3076 fps using 58gr RL-26. I tried 58.5 and groups opened up BAD. Talking about 2moa @100.
My 270 wsm with 129 LRX is pretty darn good. I'm getting 3500fps using 71gr RL-26.
70DD956E-3B51-41EE-B837-EBAF9E89B80E.jpeg