6.5 PRC Browning Hell’s Canyon reloading help

BradP

i recently purchased a 6.5 PRC in browning hell's canyon. 24" barrel with 1:7 twist. I have only shot 143 grain Hornady eldx. 4 shot 1.25" groups. I am looking to handload some rounds for WT deer hunting and was curious if anyone has loaded rounds for this gun that would be willing to share their outcomes. Options seem endless and just looking for a starting point.

i recently purchased a 6.5 PRC in browning hell's canyon. 24" barrel with 1:7 twist. I have only shot 143 grain Hornady eldx. 4 shot 1.25" groups. I am looking to handload some rounds for WT deer hunting and was curious if anyone has loaded rounds for this gun that would be willing to share their outcomes. Options seem endless and just looking for a starting point.
I reloaded for that rifle chambered in 28 Nosler and was impressed. We used 185 Bergers with good results. I think Berger just came out with a 150 grain hunting projectile with great BCs. If you can get that to work it will buck wind as good as a .338 LM.
I have a friend that competes in PRS matches with the PRC but uses 140 grain projectiles. His powder is H1000 primers are Fed Gold Medal Match Magnums and brass is Hornady. He is right around .33 MOA but with a custom heavy rifle. Sorry if I rambled a bit hope this helps a little.

H1000 is the go to powder. RL26 if you are shooting for max speeds. Hornady and Hodgdon have reloading data on their websites. I worked up a load for my rifle (not the same model) with the 140 accubond that shoots well. With your twist you should be good to run the newer heavy weight bullets, if you so desire.

I don't have the Browning but I just developed 2 loads for my Savage 110 High Country 6.5 PRC. The Hornady 143gr. factory loads didn't shoot that well in my rifle either. But the Hornady 147 gr. ELD-M factory load shot half inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards.
For reloads I'm loading the Berger 140 gr. ELD-X to 3150 fps and the Hornady 147 ELD-Ms to 3050 fps. I'm using RL-26 for the 140s and Retumbo for the 147s

We have loaded several with the 124g Hammer Hunter. rl26 or n560 are the awesome sauce. With Bertram brass we are running them at 3470 fps. Don't use a mag primer with the PRC. It will pressure out prematurely. Use standard lr primers. You can start either of these powders at 57g and work up from there.

I reloaded for that rifle chambered in 28 Nosler and was impressed. We used 185 Bergers with good results. I think Berger just came out with a 150 grain hunting projectile with great BCs. If you can get that to work it will buck wind as good as a .338 LM.
I have a friend that competes in PRS matches with the PRC but uses 140 grain projectiles. His powder is H1000 primers are Fed Gold Medal Match Magnums and brass is Hornady. He is right around .33 MOA but with a custom heavy rifle. Sorry if I rambled a bit hope this helps a little.
I was not aware of a 185 gr 7mm bullet from Berger.

I had the same gun as you but the LR version which had a 26" bbl and my first load was with the 143 eldx and ADG brass , 210 m primers and RL26. It shot great but I switched to the 156 elite with same primer , powder , brass and they shot fantasic with 57 gr I was getting 2960 fps.
I also tried the 140 elites and they to shot awesome.
In the browning xbolt magazine just seat them to mag length and the will shoot awesome for you.

Recent Posts