6.5 Grendel Upper Build

First 6.5 Grendel loads for testing...

Berger 130 AR Hybrids, CFE223 powder, CCI 450 primers, and new Hornady brass, seated to 2.275" OAL and 1.676" base-to-ogive (fits in C-Products 6.5G mags).

0237DA12-C5C4-4791-B8BD-7F22AD0F6A0C_zpsttkj3ysh.jpg

Factory Hornady 123 A-Max next to the 130 Hybrid.

3955B25E-C436-4307-B1B8-B68D05CC16D2_zpsl6fcx4tn.jpg

Put it together the other day. Went with a Lilja 20" barrel, Noveske billet upper, Bravo Company kmr 15" handguard, Rainier match bolt carrier.

I'm curious how this is working for you. It sounds like a killer upper. Do you have any pics?

I just put one together with a 19" Lilja (AR319). It's doing very well with 123 Amax's. Mine is on a forged flat top with a 13" VTAC handguard, Colt M16 BCG.

I really love mine. I shot a 7" group at 970 the other day with factory amaxs. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

I went with the 264LBC 20" barrel stuck on a Rainier Arms Ultra Match upper. With Alexander Arms factory loads with 123g Scenars and a Geissele SSA trigger. Shoots 1/3 min with almost zero recoil. The LBC barrel has a 5k tighter neck then the Grendel (295 ) and Lapua brass fits nicely.

I went with the 264LBC 20" barrel stuck on a Rainier Arms Ultra Match upper. With Alexander Arms factory loads with 123g Scenars and a Geissele SSA trigger. Shoots 1/3 min with almost zero recoil. The LBC barrel has a 5k tighter neck then the Grendel (295 ) and Lapua brass fits nicely.

My original Grendel build had an LBC chamber in it. It definitely preferred the 107 smk over anything else. I kept hearing good things about the Lilja barrels chambered with a Manson Grendel reamer so I figured I'd rebarrel and see how it does.

Finally got around to posting a pic. Lilja 20" barrel, Noveske billet upper, bcm kmr 15" rail, Rainier match bolt carrier, Nightforce 3-10 shv scope, Omega 7.62 can.
1EC019F9-47EF-4D3B-AF84-3C3AF56E5057_zps8ymjnlsj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Finally got around to posting a pic. Lilja 20" barrel, Noveske billet upper, bcm kmr 15" rail, Rainier match bolt carrier, Nightforce 3-10 shv scope, Omega 7.62 can.
1EC019F9-47EF-4D3B-AF84-3C3AF56E5057_zps8ymjnlsj.jpg
[/URL][/U][/IMG]

Very nice! Maybe I missed it, but do you have an adjustable gas block?

I love my 6.5G! Underground Tactical 18" barrel, 15" Midwest a industries slim Mlok fore end with a Trijicon 3-9x40….sub MOA with factory ammo. I get ammo at my local sporting goods store too!

A few years ago I purchased a RRA lower with their match trigger.
I then had Les Baer install a 24" bull barreled upper in the RRA lower.
I have only shot my own reloads in it.
They have been 123 grain Sierra HPBTs, Nosler CC, and Hornady A Maxs!
The charge has been 30.4 grains of AA2520 now extinct.
I have shot them out to nearly 700 yards at metal.
They all work great!

I have been going to the Field Fire/Boomer shoot in Idaho for the past 8 or so years.
It's been a star performer.
I have run out of AA2520 so my next reloading trial will be with CFE223!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 112
My handloads for my 6.5G are for Nosler CC 123 and Berger 130 AR Hybrids in Hornady 6.5G brass, CCI 450's, and CFE-223 powder. I haven't been able to test them out yet, but they're loaded up and ready when I get time.

So I am in the midst of a somewhat messy Grendel build. Not quite sure how to get it finished, but I have about all the parts. Last thing I need to decide is how to have it assembled for precision, and by whom.

Some folks claim you need to have the receiver trued, the extension bedded into the receiver etc. Others, not so much. For those of you that have put them together, what did you do and what kind of results are you seeing?

I'm curious how this is working for you. It sounds like a killer upper. Do you have any pics?

I just put one together with a 19" Lilja (AR319). It's doing very well with 123 Amax's. Mine is on a forged flat top with a 13" VTAC handguard, Colt M16 BCG.

Brent,

This is the same barrel I bought, how has it done for you accuracy wise with factor SST's, as well as what kind of velocity are you getting?

Hoping to get 2450 at a minimum, but seems Liljas might run a bit slow from the little I can gather on the web about these.

Also, what process did you use for the build?

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.