6.5 Grendel Nosler Bullet Choice - Deer Hunting

I've had good luck with the 100g PTs and BTs. Currently running 100g PT over 29.2g XBR with a Rem 7-1/2. ~3/4 MOA or so out of an 18" larue upper. I found my gun liked the noslers better than hornady bullets and the 100g class over 120g (shoots 3/4 moa vs 1-2 moa with the 120g or hornady options). When I ran the ballistics, the 100g also got me an extra 50y or so before they hit the 1800 fps threshold. A longer barrel would help close that gap. PTs and BTs had comparable whitetail performance. I prefer the partition ever since I had a 400lb hog soak up 3 rounds of hornady black behind the ear at 100y. Good thing he was in a trap...

Found a good price on the 100g partition on SPS back in 2020 (over-run, not 2nds/blem). If I had to pay full price today, I'd probably call Steve and try one of the hammers <100g. Easy to tune and always in stock.

ABLRs would not group in my gun.

I've had good luck with the 100g PTs and BTs. Currently running 100g PT over 29.2g XBR with a Rem 7-1/2. ~3/4 MOA or so out of an 18" larue upper. I found my gun liked the noslers better than hornady bullets and the 100g class over 120g (shoots 3/4 moa vs 1-2 moa with the 120g or hornady options). When I ran the ballistics, the 100g also got me an extra 50y or so before they hit the 1800 fps threshold. A longer barrel would help close that gap. PTs and BTs had comparable whitetail performance. I prefer the partition ever since I had a 400lb hog soak up 3 rounds of hornady black behind the ear at 100y. Good thing he was in a trap...

Found a good price on the 100g partition on SPS back in 2020 (over-run, not 2nds/blem). If I had to pay full price today, I'd probably call Steve and try one of the hammers <100g. Easy to tune and always in stock.

ABLRs would not group in my gun.
I have one box of the 100 grain Partitions myself. If I test, I better get some good numbers out of the gate or I will be without.

I would not recommend the 120gr BT out of the Grendel from experience that I've had with it. I shot a small buck with one, at about 50 yards or so. I watched the bullet impact and the deer stood there like nothing happened, then started to run off so I adjusted my aim point and put one into the back of his skull. I was less than impressed with the performance of that bullet, it might be a good combo for coyotes but I won't be loading any for deer hunting. Maybe I had a dud? I have some of the 99gr Hammer Hunters sitting on my shelf that I want to work a load up for and see how they do.
Let me know how the Hammers do. I am looking at the Lehigh Defense 110 grain Controlled Chaos as well.

Let me know how the Hammers do. I am looking at the Lehigh Defense 110 grain Controlled Chaos as well.
I will try to remember. It's low on my list of priorities for load workups. Too many new guns that I've neglected, plus two that aren't mine that I'm working on as favors.

I will try to remember. It's low on my list of priorities for load workups. Too many new guns that I've neglected, plus two that aren't mine that I'm working on as favors.
Man, I know how that is. I have quite a few calibers I have not even gotten loads worked up for and now building a 6mm ARC. Think this will be my last purchase for a good long while. I need to work on what I got.

Man, I know how that is. I have quite a few calibers I have not even gotten loads worked up for and now building a 6mm ARC. Think this will be my last purchase for a good long while. I need to work on what I got.
No kidding, I just ordered two new lowers the other day too. I still have a Savage action sitting on my bench that's supposed to be a 22 Creedmoor. I need to just quit my job so I can do the things I want to do, but then again I wouldn't be able to afford it. I have intentions on making my 6.5G into a deer rifle for my girls, since the oldest is only 7, I still have a few more years before it needs to be ready.

I can tell you what the 99 Hammer does. But it's out of a 6.5 CM. Boom, Flop.They hit the dirt. But its being pushed @3340 FPS. The top one was taken with it. He weighs182 dressed.over 200 live.

Attachments

• 20220130_175606.jpg
    20220130_175606.jpg
    491.9 KB · Views: 40
No kidding, I just ordered two new lowers the other day too. I still have a Savage action sitting on my bench that's supposed to be a 22 Creedmoor. I need to just quit my job so I can do the things I want to do, but then again I wouldn't be able to afford it. I have intentions on making my 6.5G into a deer rifle for my girls, since the oldest is only 7, I still have a few more years before it needs to be ready.
Perfect cartridge for young-uns.

I feel the same way. I have got way more rifles and ammo than I have time and opportunity to hunt.