6.5 Gibbs vs 6.5-06 AI vs 6.5 Sherman vs 6.5 SLR

madcarpenter

I'm looking to do a new 6.5 build which I was kinda set on a Gibbs but after talking to a bunch of smiths and barrel makers I'm not so sure now.

Looking for input from the fellas that know!

The gun is going to be my mountain gun, so I'm looking for speed to power the 127 LRX along.

6.5 Sherman....Tippy-top dog in the food-chain, if you're wanting speed. IMO, it is about the extent of the 6.5mm bore (as far as cartridge capacity is concerned), without having too many diminishing returns...It still has good barrel life and efficiency (capacity-to-velocity ratio). :cool:

One day I'm going to build a .280 Sherman...Which is basically a .280 AI Improved. Same basic cartridge as the 6.5 Sherman, just necked-up to 7mm.

My 6.5 Sherman measures 3.450 overall with a 140 Berger.
These are a pretty amazing cartridge, have gotten some crazy speeds out of them. Have them loaded to 3305FPS with the berger. And shot some 160 Matrix at 3135 FPS.
You could always have it machined for a longer mag box.
If you want anymore info on them Shoot me a PM I am in Canada as well and you could give me a call if you want.

I'm not sure what's going to be my next move, the action is a new sako 85 M action so I'm not sure how I'd go about lengthening the mag box. From what a smith told me, I might be stuck going the 6.5-06 ackley route because it's the shortest of the 6.5 variations of the 06 case.

Anyone have a 6.5 Sherman with 127 LRX that can measure the COAL ?

I'm not sure what's going to be my next move, the action is a new sako 85 M action so I'm not sure how I'd go about lengthening the mag box. From what a smith told me, I might be stuck going the 6.5-06 ackley route because it's the shortest of the 6.5 variations of the 06 case.

Anyone have a 6.5 Sherman with 127 LRX that can measure the COAL ?

I don't think the A.I. will help you too much unless you throat it too short and that defeats the purpose of the build.

My son shoots 6.5-06 not improved. We load it to 3.315" COAL to fit in his blind mag with the 124g Hammer Hunters. We are getting 3160fps with 57.5g W-780. We have an improved version that we just have not done much work with.

So I think the 6.5-06ai is a good option.

Steve

not too sure what speeds to expect, but what about a 6.5 gap 4s? pretty sure they're up there in speed especially with the 129 LRX. then it'd be in a shorter action too if you wanted.

If you are limited to a short mag box the 6.5-284 is a good option 140s around 3000fps and new 147 ELDs at 2900-2950. Not as hot or effective as the 6.5 Sherman but its about the best you are going to get with a short mag box and a standard bolt face. You could also have the bolt face opened up and then you can look into the 6.5 Sherman Short, 6.5 GAP 4s, and the 6.5 WSM. All of these are potent options and can drives 140s to 3100-3300fps depending on how hard you push them.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.