6.5 Creedmore-Rifle Elk Season

400 yards would be my max and at that distance it still has over 2200 fps and 1417 energy and for deer would be good to 500 with 2057 and 1212. I have a 26" barrel so I should be able to get everything out of that round as published or extremely close.gun)

I think that is why they went with the 120gr gmx rather than 130 or 140gr because they were afraid of not expanding with the round, I think the 129 interbond should be the answer.
D

I am going to take my 6.5 Creedmoor after elk and deer this year also, I am going to run the 155 Grain Lapua SP bullets. I need to get a load worked up for them, so far the only testing that I have done with them has been with Trailboss for a subsonic load with my supressor, but I am going to work up a hunting load and bring the 6.5 this year, I will also have a brush gun for the close up work. Good luck!

With careful shot placement, I would consider this round effective on elk at 400- 500 yards pushing a 140gr Berger Hunting VLD at +2800FPS. This bullet is reliable , and has enough sectional density to get deep penetration with good tissue damage. IMHO.

Ive never shot the berger bullets, I hear good and bad, will probably stick with the gmx, Interbond, LRX until I shoot something and see how she does.

I haven't been on in awhile, I ended up taking a spike bull in the Elkhorns up in Montana last year. 650 yards with the 6.5 and 140 grain AMAX. It did the job, however, I found after skinning the animal that shot placement was definitely critical. The first round hit right behind the shoulder and went through making the liver into jelly. The bull didn't go down initially, he turned and staggered towards me a few steps and I sent another, the second round hit him in the shoulder and he went down. After skinning the animal, I found that the round that struck in the dense muscle tissue in the shoulder only penetrated about 1 1/2" into the muscle tissue. Looks like it was pushing the envelope on that one, it did go down only a few steps from where I initially shot him, but that second one got my attention!

DSCF4340.jpg

DSCF4334.jpg

DSCF4333.jpg

DSCF4306.jpg

DSCF4300.jpg

The 6.5 did well last year, took two mulies at 500+ and the spike at 650! Makes a great "base camp" rifle! The two mulies were shot right from camp up in the Ruby mountains in Nevada. (Neither of them were mine, my cousins used my dope card and my rifle to fill their tags!, mine got filled with a lever action 30/30...go figure! I pack that heavy bastard everywhere I go along with a brush gun, and I end up using the brush gun to fill my tag!)

Going to try to "kick it up a notch" this year. A friend of mine is going to build me a 6.5 SAUM! Going to be a barrel burner, but should be a laser beam at the distances I plan on shooting for LR hunting rig!

Going to look into running some of the Berger 140 grain match grade Hunting VLD's and be launching them around 3300 FPS. Should be a fun project and if it works out I will keep a few barrels around, if not, I will rechamber for 7 SAUM after burning through the first barrel! :D

If you run down at 3100 fps, the lower pressures will give you 2500 round barrel life.

shot a decent 6x5 with my 260 with 140 grn @2830 fps at 200 yds no issue. I would not use that light bullet though as why gimp yourself with that. go with the 140 class or at least 130 class bullet. The 6.5 penetrate like mad and will do the job minus any hydrostatic shock to speak of until you crank them to around 3k or you shoot under 100 yds.

400 yards would be my max and at that distance it still has over 2200 fps and 1417 energy and for deer would be good to 500 with 2057 and 1212. I have a 26" barrel so I should be able to get everything out of that round as published or extremely close.gun)

on deer it is good as far as you can make the shot
on elk, I would keep it 400 or under - though I know guys that have shot em over 700 with the 6.5. I saw the vid on utube of a 688 cow drt shot with a 243, so it can be done. Common sense says keep the 260/creed under 500 on elk - 300 better. You get zippo hydrostatic, so all about penetration - which the 6.5 has in spades in the 140 class bullet and it bucks the wind better than a 30cal at 190 grns

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor and love and going to use it on elk this coming season. There is a very good video on Youtube by Ron Spomer on the 6.5 .

Last edited by a moderator:
used the 140 ab on a mule deer last season at a little over 200. It worked well, but was too tough a bullet for that application at 2800 fps out of a 260. Deer only went 30 yds, so cannot complain, but exit hole about same as entrance on a double lung. Should be good for elk though. For deer, better off using the nosler bt in 120/ 140 or amax in 123 or 140 on lung shots. If you want to do shoulder then 140 ab is a great choice on deer. Like I said - due to the exceptional penetration of the 6.5, it really is never an issue on underpen - hard part is dumping the amount of energy in animal that you want for the shot you plan on taking. If I had that shot over, with that ab, I would have anchored it through the front shoulder.
This year, I shot my mule deer with the 260 using a 140 sst at 285 and was happy with that bullet. Two years ago( 3 seasons), I used a 129 sst on mulie and was happy, but that was a frontal shot at 45 yds that took out his cns. Used a 140 vld hunting on my bull elk this season at a hair over 200 yds and it did the drunken sailor for 100 yards - dead but did not know it. Finished it at 285 with a second vld though no real need to do so but it was getting further from the truck :)
I have heard great things about the vld, but think it really needs velocity to perform at potential and the 260/ creed just does not have that for those drt shots on elk. IN my opinion, the vld in 6.5 is designed more for the 264 win/6.5-06/6.5 wsm than it is for the creed or 260. Better off with a plastic tip in the 260/creed - or a partition. sst/ab/part( not a plastic tip but acts like one on front half) /aframe(ditto) for elk size. That is just my opinion - I could be wrong.
I will be using the amax next season for deer/ antelope in either 100 or 140 grn as neither is a tough animal. The 100 amax in 6.5 is not listed as a hunting bullet, but the 140 is for med game - look at the hornady book in front where they list all their bullets. Also a good ref on amax performance on game is the terminal ballistics web site.
For elk next year, I will be using a 30-06 for a little more thump. Will be loading with the 178 amax if it shoots well- 180 in sst/ part or ab if need to - all running a bit over 2800fps . Fun stuff

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.