6.5 Creedmore-Rifle Elk Season

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor and love and going to use it on elk this coming season. There is a very good video on Youtube by Ron Spomer on the 6.5 . The Truth About 6.5mm Rifle Cartridges - YouTube
He's right as far as what he's comparing but it's not an apples to apples comparison. Look at the High BC 190-230gr 30 cal's and you will see them run away from the 6.5's from 600yds on out.

Of course in the real world only a handful of shooters are taking shots beyond that with any hope of connecting anyhow with either caliber.

At long range the bigger, high BC bullet will out perform the smaller.

Has anyone considered the 130 vld's for both hunting situations? You will be picking up speed, keeping good SD, and BC. Should be a hell of a bullet, not too hard not to expand and not too soft if you hit the shoulder (wouldn't suggest shoulder though).

I'm putting together my first 6.5 right now. Most likely going to be a 260. Rem as that was the plan so far but the 6.5 credmoor jumped back in my head about 2 weeks ago and so just have to make my final decision. Looking at running 140 Berger hybrids, 130 berger VLD's and 140 amax for paper and coyotes as I was able to grab 5 boxes of them for $4.18 a box. Can't beat that!

He's right as far as what he's comparing but it's not an apples to apples comparison. Look at the High BC 190-230gr 30 cal's and you will see them run away from the 6.5's from 600yds on out.

Of course in the real world only a handful of shooters are taking shots beyond that with any hope of connecting anyhow with either caliber.

At long range the bigger, high BC bullet will out perform the smaller.

true but that 30 cal will pound you like a prison roommate :)

The point is you do not have to thump your shoulder to shoot 1500 - not saying creed is the way but a 260 ai might be. And before you get into the " I can handle a mans' gun" crap, recoil is recoil and seeing shots at 200 yds without a break has it's benefits. Look at wind drift at 1000 yds compared to recoil and you might see the light. A 6.5 with a .620 bc is decent - and they are out there. Hell, crappy bergers are doing like .612 in 6.5 . 190 berger30 cal is bc .570, 200 berger vld target is .631.

feel free to pound the crap out of yourself to push that 200 grn to 2800 fps lol

a 140 berger in 260 ai going 2900 fps is the lr medicine :) now energy is not equal, but paper does not care, and humans are weak and animals are shot at 1000 and under. JUst saying - now do you want to get into cost per round loaded?????????

Last edited:
Has anyone considered the 130 vld's for both hunting situations? You will be picking up speed, keeping good SD, and BC. Should be a hell of a bullet, not too hard not to expand and not too soft if you hit the shoulder (wouldn't suggest shoulder though).

I'm putting together my first 6.5 right now. Most likely going to be a 260. Rem as that was the plan so far but the 6.5 credmoor jumped back in my head about 2 weeks ago and so just have to make my final decision. Looking at running 140 Berger hybrids, 130 berger VLD's and 140 amax for paper and coyotes as I was able to grab 5 boxes of them for $4.18 a box. Can't beat that!

either good my 260's shoot 140 class low to mid 2800's in 24 and 26 inch barrels. Creed will prob not match that, but close. Now creed better in short mag( short length not short action). If your short action has decent mag length to support the 140 without pushing it too far into case, then 260 wins out. Cannot go wrong with either. I am not sure if lapua sells creed brass, but that might be a thing to look at as the lapua is better than norma or hornady. What action - be sure it can give you that mag length to do the 140 to lans. No issue with savage short actions - not sure about the rest. I can run the 140 bergers to lans in sav short action with room to spare on criterion and shilen match, long throat barrels. If doing another action, be sure smith is in plan to enable those to hit to lans when he chambers the barrel.

either good my 260's shoot 140 class low to mid 2800's in 24 and 26 inch barrels. Creed will prob not match that, but close. Now creed better in short mag( short length not short action). If your short action has decent mag length to support the 140 without pushing it too far into case, then 260 wins out. Cannot go wrong with either. I am not sure if lapua sells creed brass, but that might be a thing to look at as the lapua is better than norma or hornady. What action - be sure it can give you that mag length to do the 140 to lans. No issue with savage short actions - not sure about the rest. I can run the 140 bergers to lans in sav short action with room to spare on criterion and shilen match, long throat barrels. If doing another action, be sure smith is in plan to enable those to hit to lans when he chambers the barrel.

Parts I have in hand for build are;

-Stiller tac 30 action
-benchmark 1:8 twist 26" barrel
-McMillan a5 stock
-Jewell trigger

Parts I'm deciding on to finish up:
-JEC muzzle brake
-stiller, badger or PTG bottom metal so not sure for mag length

That was a ridiculous video, sorry but being a huge 6.5 fan and also shooting 215 Bergers 2975fps from a 300 Win, there is just no comparison when you put an elk out in front of you!! If you can't handle the recoil that fine, I don't like it either and everything is braked but that does not mean I'm dominating anything with my 6.5 without a brake, just means I've got to be very careful with shot placement and bullet selection!!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.