6.5-300 Weatherby

parshal

I chambered and installed a 6.5-300 Weatherby on a buddy's Vanguard 300 Weatherby. This is what he's come up with for a load. Impressive although I'm sure it will last maybe 500 rounds. Velocity measure with a MagnetoSpeed at, basically, sea level (Tampa area).

Group - .176
3579 fps
130 gr NAB
86 gr Retumbo
.212 jump

Attachments

• 6.5-300.jpg
    6.5-300.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 143
Barrel burner, yea but:
If you have other rifles to shoot volume
If you settle with this load and check each year & drop a few animals
If you don't live to 150 it will last a lifetime.

That is what I do with my 264 Win mag that does 3350 fps with the 130 AB pushed by Retumbo. Shoot it once or twice to confirm the scope has not lost zero then go hunting and shoot 3 or 4 deer. Should last me the rest of my life. By the way those 130 ABs have worked wonderfully from 25 to a touch over 500 yards so far for me. Bang Flop most of the time, always DRT.

Barrel burner, yea but:
If you have other rifles to shoot volume
If you settle with this load and check each year & drop a few animals
If you don't live to 150 it will last a lifetime.

Treat the rifle gently. It will last a life time.
Shoot something else "for fun"
Check it before hunts.

Don't change the load. That one works.

How long is your barrel?

It "seems" that if you have that cartridge you should be able to get more velocity, if that is what you want...

My 270 Wby is pushing the 130gr SSTs over 3600fps out of a 28" barrel. My 140 SSTs are doing around 3525fps...

I have no worries about burning out my barrel...though my main loading is 170 Bergers @ 3225fps...

I chambered and installed a 6.5-300 Weatherby on a buddy's Vanguard 300 Weatherby. This is what he's come up with for a load. Impressive although I'm sure it will last maybe 500 rounds. Velocity measure with a MagnetoSpeed at, basically, sea level (Tampa area).

Group - .176
3579 fps
130 gr NAB
86 gr Retumbo
.212 jump

Very nice... very similar results... thank you for sharing! My load was:

130grNAB/73gr Retumbo;
OAL 3.51

Barrel Length is 26' plus muzzle break

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.