6.5-300 Wby cartridge stuck and primer blown out

yr_tiger

Long time lerker/follower of your site but first time post.

So my older Buddy gets a Vanguard in 65-300 and he ask if I could site it in for him. I have fired the rifle a few time before and ran about 40 rd down the barrel. Anyway i was shooting yesterday and fired about another 10 rnd and then it happend. Fired fine and bullet went down range fine. But when I tried open the chamber the bolt was stuck. I have to pull pretty hard and the bolts opens...The cartridge comes out and the primer is sitting in chamber. Also the back of the cartridge shows small brass missing and fine some fine brass on the bolt. I am a little concerned the gun may have damage. Also any idea on why this happened? It was Africa hot down here in central Tx.
The bullets were weather 140 grn soft points WBY factory ammo.
I hope this the correct place for this post if not please relocate.
Thx Folks

I assume you didn't fire it anymore? Does it cycle and dry fire OKay? Does it chamber a round Okay unfired? Not knowing what powder WBY uses hard to say the heat did or didn't affect it, many powders are temp sensitive and can if loaded hot blow the primer like happened here. I think I would be temped if no visible damage is seen to clean it up and try another round. Could of been just a factory error on powder. If you took any pictures of case might help us?

IMG-9343.JPG
65_3000.jpg
I have not fired the gun again...waiting for my son to come home from vacation...just kidding...I not sure what to do before I plan to fire again...I will contact Wby. I know it will take every muscle in my body to pull the trigger on the next round out of that gun...:)
Here are pictures...If I can figure out how to add them :)
clip_image001.jpg

Last edited:
Just talked to WBY and the fella on the phone said "It's an ammo issue and I need to deal with company that sold me the ammo" I ask him about the gun and he said it should be fine...He did not seem interested in determining if the rifle is Ok to shoot again or anything. I ask him if they had others reported similar issues with the 6.5-300 and he said they got a few calls and most were from hot climate areas in the summer. I was a little surprised at how disinterested he was on the phone.
So I guess this in not an Africa round :)
Not sure where to go from here. I guess I can put it on a sled and pull the trigger with a rope like they use on cannons...

Send them an email with pictures to customer service of both the rifle and ammo with lot/serial numbers. Get it in writing that they said its okay to fire. If you have it documented that they said it's okay for weatherby ammo to be fired in a weatherby rifle after having told them about potential issues, I would think you'll likely have a better case built against them in the event of catastrophic failure.

As long as barrel is clear and no visible damage is seen an overpressure rd rarely does any permeate damage to gun, its obstructed barrels that typically have catastrophic damages.

Just talked to WBY and the fella on the phone said "It's an ammo issue and I need to deal with company that sold me the ammo" I ask him about the gun and he said it should be fine...He did not seem interested in determining if the rifle is Ok to shoot again or anything. I ask him if they had others reported similar issues with the 6.5-300 and he said they got a few calls and most were from hot climate areas in the summer. I was a little surprised at how disinterested he was on the phone.
So I guess this in not an Africa round :)
Not sure where to go from here. I guess I can put it on a sled and pull the trigger with a rope like they use on cannons...

This is the main problem--it was Weatherby branded ammo, it's not up to the store that SOLD you the ammo, it's up to the MANUFACTURER to make it right.

Sounds like Weatherby doesn't want to deal with any bad ammo. I would deferentially do what shooter 7 has suggested. You really need some dialog with them. I suspect they would want to have the ammo sent to them for inspection and possibly the rifle for inspection if they (Weatherby) wants to do the right thing. Who knows they may need to recall some ammo.

The round was obviously overcharged. I've had plenty of sticky bolts in my experiences with dreaming-up loads for my mildcat rifles. I had a bunch one day that had me swearing a blue streak. Between the torrent of vulgarities and obscenities, I said to the tumbleweeds that I wished there was some way I could push the stuck case out of the chamber instead of trying to pull it out with the bolt handle. Then it hit me! The solution came to me in a flash of low intelligence. Before I got home that day, I swung past Lowe's and bought a 3/16" brass rod of 36 inches in length. I now use that rod to easily push the stuck case out after it's fired. I never have a problem unlocking the bolt. Once the bolt is unlocked, the stuck case is very easily popped right out. After I began doing the brass rod thing, I've never had to wrestle the bolt handle to remove a sticking case. They come out quite easily. A simple, sliding tap-tap of the rod is all it takes. I keep the rod in the case for the problem rifle. A sticking bolt can bring an afternoon at the range to an immediate halt, so it always goes with me...

That's a dandy ejector mark. That had too have been quite a bit of pressure to make the letters change their shape on the case head. Talking with Weatherby is the right move in this situation.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.