6.5-284 rechamber 6.5-7wsm?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by longrangerigmover, Nov 4, 2013.

1. longrangerigmover

longrangerigmover Member

I have a 6.5-284 on a remington 700 short action that the humanity botched I can't even get my slugs close to the lands. I'm thinking either having the chamber end of the barrel cut down and trying again or doing that and clambering it in the 6.5-7mm wsm. Any thoughts and advice for my predicament.

2. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

IMO they should both be in a LA. The 7 WSM all the more. Cut the chamber back or leave as is and fire single shot.

3. longrangerigmover

longrangerigmover Member

Thanks for your input, sounds like the right idea. It doesn't bother me to single feed but not being able to touch my lands seems to me I could be missing out on my optimum seating depth for bergers

4. crankshaft

crankshaft Member

The wsm uses a bigger bolt face than a 284 based cases. Have you thought about a 6.5x47 or 6.5 creedmoor?

5. longrangerigmover

longrangerigmover Member

I have given both of those some thought, but I'm concerned with how much would need to be cut out of the chamber end of my barrel. I'm hoping to salvage the barrel I already have.

6. BrentM

BrentM Well-Known Member

Curious about why you think the bullet has to be touching the lands? My rifle likes the berger at .070 to .100 off. I have had success, at different depths as well, but the hunting VLD likes the jump for some reason. It doesn't bother me though. It is what it is. If it shoots why worry, right?

7. LONGSHOOTER

LONGSHOOTER Well-Known Member

Rechamber to the same 6.5-284, cutting off enough barrel to reach the lands.

8. longrangerigmover

longrangerigmover Member

I wouldn't be concerned with it if the rifle shot consistently under a moa but with 3 different powders and 2 different bullets about 1 1\4 is the best. I know where your coming from though my 7mm likes a .070 jump in vlds and my old 7mm likes them set to the lands.