6.5-284 powder and case fill

Well, thank you all for the suggestions. I had already loaded up some more test rounds with H4350 going up to 51 grains in half grain increments- those did fairly well with no signs of pressure on the primers/cases and no heavy lift. I also had 21 prepped and ready cases left so I went out and bought 1lb. each of Retumbo and H4831sc. I decided to try Retumbo only for those last 21 cases- worked up to 57 grains in half grain increments, and I only tried the 147 ELD-M with it. All I can say is I was impressed, and I found my charge weight for this bullet, and with only the slightest amount of "shake" in the case! I do want to try this powder with Steve's Hammer Hunters in both 124gr and 137gr (I know my barrel may not be quite fast enough for the latter, but I have that curious itch that just has to be scratched). I'm sure I'll find a use for the unopened H4831sc, just don't know what yet!

6.5-284 Norma - Lapua Brass, Fed 210 Primer, 147 ELD-M out of a 26" SS Criterion Varmint Remage barrel with a 1:7.5" twist on a Remington 700 long action. The pic below is my 3 shot group with that charge weight- it was my best of the charges I attempted- 0.217" if my math is correct!:cool:

Next step- load up 10 or so more and go chrono...

With the 124 gr Hammer Hunter, I found that H4831 worked great for me and gave me around 3175 fps with excellent accuracy. There was a higher node, but it was right on the edge of pressure and could give me the occasional sticky or stuck bolt. I'm having my rifle rebarreled right now and will have to load develop. I'll post my results once I get the rifle

With the 124 gr Hammer Hunter, I found that H4831 worked great for me and gave me around 3175 fps with excellent accuracy. There was a higher node, but it was right on the edge of pressure and could give me the occasional sticky or stuck bolt. I'm having my rifle rebarreled right now and will have to load develop. I'll post my results once I get the rifle
What twist are you doing?

Here a 4 shot group of that 3175 fps load using the 124 gr Hammer Hunter

Attachments

• 5B6904DD-EEB0-4FC6-B04F-5DACBF0B590C.jpeg
    5B6904DD-EEB0-4FC6-B04F-5DACBF0B590C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 153
Doug. What was the charge weight and primer you were using with the hammer and H4831?
Off the top of my head, I think it was 53.9 gr of H4831, Fed 210M primer & Lapua brass. The second node was around 55.0 gr but too hot/pressure issues. I can verify it later tonight once I get home

Oldtimers is setting in...I just confirmed SD and ES on a load last weekend that looked good the weekend before. The average velocity was just over 3,000fps and both the SD and ES were single digit!

Then shot a tiny 2 shot group in one hole at 300yds. Anyone who kows my post, know I suffer baday from target panic. Shot number three always goes wild!

4831SC 54.2gr 140gr Sierra HPBT MK running at 3,000fps...I can't recall the exact SD and ES but I will get it from my notes...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.