6.5-284 Hunting bullet

G

I'm in the market for a good bullet for my 6.5-284 LSR. It shoots the 142 gr Matchkings awesome..But I'm not so sure about how they perform on Deer etc. Any suggestions on a hunting grade bullet that will perform as well as the 142 matchkings...Or close to it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As always, Thanks a million

Joe

Lab,
I don't know where you are at but if your deer are as thinned skinned as ours are here in Oklahoma I would tell you to use the 140gr A-max. It is a very thin jacketed bullet but it should also expand very rapidly on whitetails andthe BC is very high. This is just my opinion but I think it would work and a lot of people around here use them.

Good Luck
Steve

lablover,
I just got off the phone talking to a rep. from Nosler and he informed me that they are thinking on making the Accubond for the 6.5 but that's not going to happen this year. I had been thinking of a good bullet for long range hunting for the 6.5-284 and that's how I came to find out that Nosler does not make it in the Accubond line, BUT IT'S COMING OUT!
Good Luck!

140gr SST. superbly accurate and all the goodness of a Interlock bullet. Might just impress you with how flat it flies too.

Jerry

Awesome on the accubond.

Hey Jerry..That 140 SST, I noticed a canalure on the bullet. Do I need to crimp these ?

Joe

Lablover,
I am going to hunt with the 140 grain AMAX this year. I have shot quite a few deer with the .30 cal. 168 AMAX and it is very reliable.
Not sure how it will perform, will be doing some expansion tests shortly and will let you know.

Eaglet
That's the best news I've heard in a while. Would love to try a 6.5 Accubond.

lablover
I shot about a dozen whitetails last year using the 140 gr SST that Jerry mentioned. None of them went over 30 yds. with most dropping on impact, all had exit wounds and all were broadside shots. Ranges were from 40 yds. to 525 yds. Terminal performance was great.

While working up a load for the SSTs I also tried the 140 gr A-max. Accuracy seemed about the same for both bullets in my rifle so I went the tougher SST. Neither shot as well as the 140 gr SMK, but with some work I got groups under 1 moa(barely). When the weather cools down some I'll be trying the SSTs again with a couple of different powders to see if I can cut down on my group size.

Hope this info helps
Chris

The Amax is a good choice but so is the MK.....this site is known for it's kills on game with the MK.
Shot placement is far more important than bullet type. Been my experience that animals react poorly to bullets- they die!!!! LOL!!!!

Lab,
I was just checking the bc for 180 grains Scirocco bonded and guess what? The 6.5 Scirocco bonded is coming soon, you might just have that option before you go hunting this year!
web page .

Man

This is all great news. Hey Matthews...You crack me up! Sounds like a line from the hunt for red october...Sans the deer.

I'll give the SST and amax a try. Might try the 142 MK on some cull doe?

Thanks

Joe

I´m also waiting for some of the bonded accubonds or scirocco to show up. We should create a 6,5 bonded bullet lobby to put some pressure on those factories.

does hornady plan on a 6,5 interbond ?

Have you considered Wildcat´s bonded bullets? got weights up to 160 g. , although I have no idea on their BC...

there´s also some other commercial bullets such as trophy bonded bear claw 140 6,5 ´s .

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.