6.5-06AI vs 25-06AI light rifle

RBlevins

So I'm thinking on building myself a small "mountain" rifle for nothing else than I want to and have a couple barrel blanks and actions sitting here. I'm a huge fan of Ackey cartridges and in between a 25-06AI and a 6.5-06AI, leaning more towards the 6.5 just for the sake of bullet selection. So if you guys were doing this build what would you do and why? I'm thinking 18-20in barrel.

So I'm thinking on building myself a small "mountain" rifle for nothing else than I want to and have a couple barrel blanks and actions sitting here. I'm a huge fan of Ackey cartridges and in between a 25-06AI and a 6.5-06AI, leaning more towards the 6.5 just for the sake of bullet selection. So if you guys were doing this build what would you do and why? I'm thinking 18-20in barrel.

Not exactly the same but my experience with an 18" 6.5 PRC puts the 130gr Bergers around 3000 fps, the 123gr hammers around 3200 fps and the 156gr Bergers around 2750 fps so the 6.5-06AI should produce similar velocities.

I'm a huge fan of Ackey cartridges and in between a 25-06AI and a 6.5-06AI, leaning more towards the 6.5 just for the sake of bullet selection.

Most would agree to your thinking about bullet selection. The killer is going to be the barrel length. It will reduce the velocity potential significantly. But, if the distances anticipated are within the range of your shortened barrels, have at it.

In addition to the cartridges listed above you could also consider:

6.5-284 (lots of wonderful brass available)

6.5 RSAUM (or 6.5 GAP 4S)

I have shot both in shorter barrels so I have no hesitation to suggest these.

Enjoy the process!

:)

Data from Berger on the 257 133gr and 135gr bullets

Food for thought

D3B01C2B-13B5-4B74-AE6F-1DD6BD910438.jpeg

I would go with a short action mag bolt face vs long action standard bolt face if you do not already have the action. A touch lighter weight, shorter bolt throw, better mounting options for some of the smaller lighterweight scope options. There are a few of those that have a very hard time fitting on a LA unless you have a full length Picatinny rail and high rings.

If you plan on using a short barrel, and keeping the bullets in the 130-140 range to limit speed loss, the 25 cal makes perfect sense. Higher BC bullets in nearly the same weight range will definitely benefit you.

Something like a 25SST, 25SAUM, 25PRC would be a fantastic choice. And the current availability of the 133/135 Bergers is second to none. Much more so than 130-140gr 6.5mm projectiles. (I also heard a rumor that Hornady is going to release a 134 ELD-X soon. I guess they saw the new resurgence on the fast twist heavy for .257" cal craving is not going away and they should capitalize upon it too).

Don't overlook the .280AI. Very efficient cartridge and excellent performance in every way.

This depends highly on what cartridge/chambering gap you are trying to fill.
Most would agree to your thinking about bullet selection. The killer is going to be the barrel length. It will reduce the velocity potential significantly. But, if the distances anticipated are within the range of your shortened barrels, have at it.
This! I have a .257 WBY 22" propelling the 145 Black Hole bullets at 2955 FPS (with plenty more room for powder) with my first load to establish a baseline.

Black Hole Bullet 145 in mag .020 off the lands.jpg

I already have a couple 280AI, probably my favorite round
Since you like AIs, have you considered the .270 AI? I initially considered the .280AI but went with .270 AI instead because everybody in their brothers has one. L😇L!

175 Matrix vs 150 NAB.jpg

(150 NAB vs. 175 Matrix VLD)

It's my only AI thus far, but it is my way of honoring one of the pioneers in wildcatting. Speaking of honoring a wildcatter, I also have a .30 Gibbs.

.30 Gibbs 168 CBB vs Federal Powershok 180.jpg

(168 CBB vs Federal Powershok 180)

Good luck with your project build.

Last edited: