6.5-06 Info needed

Sorry it took me so long to reply,Iwas out of town for the Gateway dynamite shoot which was a blast by the way! The reason I am using mag primers is the fact that they have a harder cup than most and let's face the fact that many post model 70 winchester's have large fireing pins with sloppy hole tolerances. This problem was since remedied by Gre-tan custom rifles.Greg did a beautiful job on my bolt. The load with mag primers performs well and I have a lot of them.The last group I shot with my 6.5-06 measured 9"at 1125yds.Hope this helps and answers your question! Dave

The twist looks to be 1:8.5 (does this sound right?) as far as i can tell with a cleaning rod and tight patch.

That's the one thing that is frustrating me with the rifle. I bought it as is, and the man who built it recently passed away, so i have no info on the barrel. The mfg. stamp was machined off to set headspacing, so don't even know what brand it is yet.

Going to take some measurements and see if i can match them up on one of the manufacturers websites, but not really expecting to have any success there as it may have been a custom order.

1 in 8.5 is perfect for 142 grain bullets! Enjoy!

Just got the dies in the mail today and sized/prepped 40 270 Win cases I had in the misc brass box. Don't remember where they came from (never owned a 270), but they were in there. Will more than likely buy some 25-06 brass in the near future, but these will do for now.
Will be loading up some 139gr PRVI's to form the brass (just cause they're cheap, and so am I), and will probably start out with 130gr Bergers on the week-end.
Getting kinda excited to try it out!!!:D

Next purchase will be a new scope. What do you guys think about the Vortex Vipers? I know they're not real high-end optics, but I haven't seen a bad review on them, yet. The 6.5-20x44 looks interesting and fits the budget.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.