6-284 Action

TMR

Official LRH Sponsor
Anyone have any experience with the 6-284 built on a short action remington? Or would I be better off using a long action? I will be using as a repeater and shooting the 107 gr SMK's.

Yep, I am pretty sure that I am going to go that route. Now I just have to sell my short action HS Prec. tactical stock and floor plate assembly. I will probably keep the barrel that I have and replace it with a longer one when it is shot out.

I second that with Kirby , the long action will alow you to shoot the realy long high BC bullets with them being seated way out to get to the lands and give optimum case space without having to use a customized mag box
I even prefer the long action with the 243Ai and 308 when shooting realy heavy for caliber bullets.

that extra little bit of stroke will never be noticed when you cycling the action but it will make a world of differance at the reloading bench

JD,
I did buy an extended mag box when I was going to build a 243AI on this project, but I don't think it is even long enough for the 6-284. If I went by Sierra's load data OAL, then I would be fine, but that seats the bullet pretty deep.

Wildcat,

If I definitely decide to go with the 6-284, which I probably will, then I will sell the stock. I think that I paid about $325 for it. It is the vertical grip fixed LOP non adjustable style stock. I mounted my 22-250AI in it just to see what it looked like. It is pretty much brand new, maybe scuff or two from just moving it around. I would probably ask around $250 for it if I decide to build the 6-284. If you are interested I will send you and email with pics.

I would also go with a Long action make sure you DONT use the 115gr Bergers you will blow them up the 107gr Sierra or 115gr DTAC would be the best options with the 115gr as a great starting point in an 8 twist barrel.

Cheers Bill
Australia

I agree on using the long action but I have a 6/284 on a short action and it works fine. The difference being in the twist, mine is a 12" so I am shooting the smaller/shorter bullets (55-85). And I able to get these in a detachable magazine.
Rem40X6-284.jpg

I have one built on a short action. It is a 2 shot repeater the way the mag well and the box is cut out for the spring and follower I am allowed one shell to fit in it. If it must be a repeater then i would do a long action or opt for spending extra cash for a wyatts box mag.

d-a

Why not keep what you got and shoot a 6.5 x 47 Lapua necked down to 6mm----should fit and you won't need a 28 inch barrel to burn all the powder of the .284

Trying to get the most velocity that I can in the 6mm. I did think about going with the 6mmx47, but it looks like it would probably be the same or a little less than the 243AI.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts