55 Blitz King

HARPERC

Looking for someone's experience with the 50 or 55 grain Blitz King's in a .223 for coyotes.

I've used the 70 grain in a 6mm, but it looks like .223's this trip.

The Sierra Blitz was made for the .222-.223 class of calibers. They are thin jacketed so that they will expand well at .223 velocities. They work very well on varmints up to and including coyotes. Just don't try to load one much over 3200 fps or use them in a fast twist barrel, or they'll self distruct

Last edited:
Been using them for years in the 22-250 and Swift. Wonderfully accurate and explosive on varmints.
Foxes and large chucks get busted up pretty good. Probably not what I would use if saving hides. Maybe the 50 grain version pushed fast might stay inside a coyote and not make a nasty exit.
I load the 55's fast out of the Swift cause I like carnage!!
Gary

No experience with those. I'm a pelt saver kind of guy. All my coyotes get shot with a 40gr vmax at about 3490 FPS out of my AR. .22 cal going in and I've never had one exit. All my coyotes are bang flop with that bullet. Shots a generally less than 300 yards and most times within 100 yards since im calling.

.....I'm a pelt saver kind of guy. All my coyotes get shot with a 40gr vmax at about 3490 FPS out of my AR. .22 cal going in and I've never had one exit. All my coyotes are bang flop with that bullet. Shots a generally less than 300 yards and most times within 100 yards since im calling.

Thanks guys!

Not particularly hide oriented, but they are a little where I'm going so I try to be a good guest.

Calling and likely less than 200 yards. I hadn't considered the 40 grain bullets, if they shoot in these rifles I may go that route.

Thanks guys!

Not particularly hide oriented, but they are a little where I'm going so I try to be a good guest.

Calling and likely less than 200 yards. I hadn't considered the 40 grain bullets, if they shoot in these rifles I may go that route.

Where I live a coyote can be worth $60-80 pretty easy. I'm shooting the 40 grain v max out of a 16" Wilson combat 1-8 twist barrel. The gun likes Berger 40gr varmint flat base bullets better but I had a good supply of v Max's and they shoot sub MOA so I'll use those up first. I'm using a max load of benchmark powder in lake city brass.

The Sierra Blitz was made for the .222-.223 class of calibers. They are thin jacketed so that they will expand well at .223 velocities. They work very well on varmints up to and including coyotes. Just don't try to load one much over 3200 fps or use them in a fast twist barrel, or they'll self distruct

Contradictions make decisions more difficult but I have had really good luck running these bullets over 3200fps in an 8 twist AR.

Contradictions make decisions more difficult but I have had really good luck running these bullets over 3200fps in an 8 twist AR.
There's a difference between the Blitz and BlitzKing. The Blitz has an exposed lead Spitzer tip was made for medium velocity and the BlitzKing had a thicker jacket and a polymer tip and was meant for high velocity

.....There's a difference between the Blitz and BlitzKing. The Blitz has an exposed lead Spitzer tip was made for medium velocity and the BlitzKing had a thicker jacket and a polymer tip and was meant for high velocity.....

I wasn't aware of other than the BlitzKing.

Feeding 2: Tikka T3, "Scout" (CTR) 1-8". Just picked up a Sako A7 1-10"
In that case you will have no issues. I use the 55 grain Blitz King in 3 bolt action 223s and it is devastating on hares out to 300m. Two of the rifles have 1:10" and the other is 1:9". I have found a near max load of Benchmark with Rem 7.5 primers in Lapua brass works well.

I have two boxes of 500 sitting on my reloading bench. I found them on a shelf at a gun store that was closing it's doors and they were dirt cheap.
I use them in all my ARs and they work well on Coyote. I have a 20"(1:9) 18"(1:8) and 16"(1:7) and they shoot well out of all of them. Have used them all to kill coyote and haven't noticed any difference out of the shorter barrel vs. longer barrel.

My 220 Swift doesn't like them for some reason. I'm guessing because of the fast twist barrel and the extreme speed.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.