52 Grain Berger Varmint in 22-250

Stewart2550

I started loads with this bullet in my Ruger American 22-250 with a 1-10 twist. Looking to see if anyone has had any luck with it and what powder you are using. Also curious if these like more jump or less jump for seating depth.

I shot the best group in my life with these bullets. It was a factory savage axis, hornady brass don't remember primer or load but powder was varget. Pretty sure I just loaded to what ever the book length was.

Attachments

• E87119C6-D823-4B6C-B358-1C29C0A17D57.jpeg
    E87119C6-D823-4B6C-B358-1C29C0A17D57.jpeg
    315.6 KB · Views: 75
I shot those a decade ago. I can't remember the load but I think it was H380. I don't recall playing with seating depths.

I have done a load with Varget and had the best luck with 35.5 Grains running at 3570 fps. I'm running the bullet closer to the lands well over max OAL as my gun allows me to. I'm wondering if I need to just go back to the max OAL and try it. I can give you some more solid numbers to what I'm running tonight. I'm thinking my OAL is causing my problems.

I have done a load with Varget and had the best luck with 35.5 Grains running at 3570 fps. I'm running the bullet closer to the lands well over max OAL as my gun allows me to. I'm wondering if I need to just go back to the max OAL and try it. I can give you some more solid numbers to what I'm running tonight. I'm thinking my OAL is causing my problems.
It depends on if the ogive is secant or tangent. If memory serves me correctly it was a tangent so should be more forgiving. I ran them from the box mag for varmint hunting. I'm sure I ran them with a classic H380 load. I'd bet H4895 would be good also. I think Sierra's accuracy load with their 52-53 grainers used RL15. Attached is a link and in there is a Sieera load data link also. I'd email Berger too maybe they can give you an "accuracy" load. I found the Berger 52 Varmint too explosive on yotes. But that is only a sample of one yote and they are tough. On rats they were good. My burned out 1-14" shot Berger 55gr Flat Base Match Target the best in it's burned out state. Good Luck!

https://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/22-250/