50 cal for hunting

Here in Idaho we use those to get our wolf population down. They work ok on wolves but on elk we like to use a little bigger gun! LOL:D

Nice .... Hmmmm come to think of it I could really use a new 20mm for those long 200 to 300 yard shots on some smaller elk not sure if it would have enough umpfff for some of those bigger bulls. Their pretty big you know lol .

I have ben thinking about about buying a 50 bmg for 10 years now. I have finally steeped up to the plate and bought one. I ended up getting an accuracy international AX 50. I have a 44moa spuhr mount and a 5-25 premier to top it off. Should give me around 150 Moa plus reticle hold over. I also have 200 pieces of RWS 50bmg brass and 200 750Amaxs. I also picked up some of the lapua 750 x bullets and wow were those expensive. $95 for 20 bullets plus shipping. Can't wait to see how this rifle will shoot. I have an outfitter in Colorado that will let me hunt with the 50. I also have an elk hunt booked in the thurofare and the outfitter said bring your rifle along we will get you an extra mule to hull it around. I was really considering it until I saw how big and heavy the rifle is. Maybe my opinion will change once I get it all set up and start shooting it. I thought there would be some resistance from the outfitters buy they were surprisingly very accommodating.

I used to own a 338 edge. It was a 20lb rifle and I had fun with it, but sold it long time ago. I now have a 20" barrel 243 and a 6.5 saum, 10lbs and 11lbs respectively and I've kinda moved to a mentality of not needing nor wanting the extra horsepower. I shoot at 1k quite a bit and I'm not sure I would want to shoot at an animal that far unless I could do a practice shot. 800 yard shot is no problem but that last 200 yards can cause a lot to go wrong especially in the mountains or an area that you are not familiar with. That being said you don't need a 338 or above to kill game under 1k so I don't have those big guns anymore. That's just me though, but I've come to this conclusion after building numerous rifles over the years and felt like adding that to the discussion.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.