50 BMG question

jbs2014

Has anyone here used the RCBS ammomaster 50 BMG kit to load for a Barret M82? If so did the sizing dies cause any headspace issues? Any one here of this happening before? I drop each sized shell in the L.E Wilson gauge and it seemed to fit where it was supposed to.

Thank you for your time

Has anyone here used the RCBS ammomaster 50 BMG kit to load for a Barret M82? If so did the sizing dies cause any headspace issues? Any one here of this happening before? I drop each sized shell in the L.E Wilson gauge and it seemed to fit where it was supposed to.

Thank you for your time

Have you ever checked the chamber on your Barrett? Might do a chamber cast.
I have a buddy that has tried brass fired out of a few M107's and it will not size down enough to fit in his bolt gun. Virgin brass and surplus ammo load and fire no problem. He has also tried .50 BMG brass fired from an M2 machine gun and it worked. Seems like the Barrett's may have sloppy (large) chambers.
I don't know (wouldn't doubt it), just a thought.

The press is fine, it's the dies that may give you problems because they are not adjustable enough
for every chamber.

On Semi autos, you need to size to small base dimensions and the RCBS dies wont do it unless you can find a set of small base dies. The best dies for different chambers are the ones that have a wide range of adjustment (Like the Hornady New dimension dies) so you can adjust to any chamber for best fit.

If you already have the RCBS dies, and they are not sizing enough, place a feeler gauge under the case head and on top of the shell holder with a .002 thickness and size a case. if it is not sized enough increase the thickness until it chambers. then you can stick a shim of the same thickness in its place and size the rest of the cases. (some grind the bottom of the die but I prefer not to permanently alter the die).

J E CUSTOM

JE,
Good point about the shim, I've recently done this with some once fired 338 RUM brass to fit in my chamber..

The press is fine, it's the dies that may give you problems because they are not adjustable enough
for every chamber.

On Semi autos, you need to size to small base dimensions and the RCBS dies wont do it unless you can find a set of small base dies. The best dies for different chambers are the ones that have a wide range of adjustment (Like the Hornady New dimension dies) so you can adjust to any chamber for best fit.

If you already have the RCBS dies, and they are not sizing enough, place a feeler gauge under the case head and on top of the shell holder with a .002 thickness and size a case. if it is not sized enough increase the thickness until it chambers. then you can stick a shim of the same thickness in its place and size the rest of the cases. (some grind the bottom of the die but I prefer not to permanently alter the die).

J E CUSTOM

Does anyone publish any measurements on what those small base dimensions should be? I also drop it in the L.E Wilson gauge and it fit did not have any issues. Where can I get a feeler gauge? Sorry for so many questions I am very new to this.

Thank you

for every chamber.

J E CUSTOM

So I went to this site to look up the 50 BMG dimensions.
http://www.elr-resources.com/wpimages/wp679553c2_06.png
It says that the base should be .8030 my resized case base is .792, at the start of the shoulder the site says it should be .7140 my case is .707. Think that is small enough?

Starting to wish I got the Hornady press now

Thanks again for your time

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.