50 Barrel & API Bullets

Frank7mm

I shot my single shot homemade 50 this week and I'm alittle disappointed. I've heard the api bullets are not to accurate. I picked the barrel up as a 30" chambered blank. I checked the freebore and it has alot (I think) a 750 a-max is in the case about 1/4" to touch the lands. Should I try the a=max's first or just get a reamer and set it back. I hate to throw money down range and not know the problem! Can any one help?

I would try it with the A-Max bullets first and see what happens. You can always set the barrel back if you have to but you may not have to.

The API projectiles, pretty much suck for accuracy to be blunt. If you get 1 moa with them you are doing AMAZINGLY well with these bullets.

The 750 A-Max is generally extremely accurate in its preferred loads. If you have a 1-15 twist, look to load it to 2500-2600 fps with H-50BMG and generally accuracy will be up to what the rifle is capable of.

Again, I would see what the A-Max bullets do before investing in a reamer and setting the barrel back.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks I shot the 750's and had a 1.750" group. Not great but better than 10" I using H50BMG with 215M primmers so when I get the CCI #35's I'll play with the load.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.