5 R rifling - Is it better?

I have gone through barrels in both 5R and conventional barrels in 308W for various competitions, many which involve long strings, in summer weather where the barrel gets very hot. My impression is that, while basic accuracy and barrel life(.25-.5MOA loss at 2000-2500 rds.) is comparable, the 5R seems to hold its accuracy and zero longer before there is a loss from fouling. I have shot as many as 250 rounds with no change. Also, The 5R cleans very fast, and first shot accuracy is usually unchanged. For this reason, I'm partial to the 5R for this work. I have suspected that this may a reason that the military used the 5R in the M24. My rifles(6.5x284 and 300WM) used for LRH have both 5R and conventional barrels. For this purpose I have seen no difference in accuracy, but the 5R does seem to clean faster.

I have a Rem 5R 308 and I will say it cleans faster than any factory barrel I have used. Your statement "first shot accuracy is usually unchanged" can be a big deal.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.