450 3 1/4 nitro

GIBO76

Gday Fellas Im looking for some data on the 450 31/4 NE using rel15 and VV560 powder with 350, 40, and 480 gn projectiles . any info would be most appreciated.
icon5.gif

Are you shooting an older double rifle? I have done a lot of work with a Holland and Holland-450 Nitro Express that is 3 1/4" long. It is based in the same case as a 500 Nitro but necked down to 450. If your cartridge is the narrower Rigby 450 Nitro, my load will be too HOT. In order to meet original velocity specs and impact points I used 74 grains of IMR3031, 2 grains of Kapoc filler, Federal magnum primers. These roundjs were originally loaded with Cordite, you cant fill the whole case with modern powders so you will need the filler to take up space and keep you powder against the primer. Most importantly had to use either original Kynock 480gr bullets or currently manufactured 480 grain Woodleigh bullets. This was needed to regulate the impact points of the double barrels. The original ogive is critical in a douce for regulation of the two barrels. If your shooting a single barrel you may be ok with modern bullet designs. They didn't shoot well in my rifle, even out of one barrel. This load exactly duplicates the original velocity of 2150fps band the pressure is mild. The accuracy spec from H&H on my double wa 2 shots from each barrel into 1.5" a 50 yards. Used this rifle and load about 20 years ago to shoot a lion in Botswanna. Hope this helps.

The rifle is a new ruger no1 but it is the straight cased 3 1/4 Ne case. I have a 458 lott in the same rifle which i was going to try using the load data for 500gn in the 400gn load but drop it 5 grains with the rel 15.

The Ruger has a lot stronger action than the old rifles. I never tried R15 but should be similar or a little slower burning than 3031. The straight case 450's would use 55-60 grains of 3031 with the 500 gr bullets to get velocities in the 2050 fps range. You should be able to handle more pressure than the older rifles with your Ruger just have to watch for sticking cases. I'll be interested hear how you do.

Thanks for your time. Will post results when i get the chance.Ive just completed my 7 stw project so it might have to wait a bit. Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.