.45 cal Muzzleloader load? New barrel

clark270

Just bought a 45 cal Bargara 1-28 twist 28" barrel for my encore. Planning to use bh209 for powder. I don't want to shoot SST or shockwaves. I want a to shoot out to 250- 300 yards? Looking to get an edge on ballistics. Should I go .40cal/10 mm bullets in a sabot, .357 bullets in a sabot, or .45 bullet with a felt patch like smokeless? Limited with the 1-28 twist I know.

Been quite a few years since I shot sabots but I got 2 deer past 200 yards with these https://www.prbullet.com/pts.htm I shot the 357s seemed to work good for me
Those are a all lead bullet and I thought you can't push the velocity that much. They do have good b.c. I was thinking about an all copper or copper plated bullet. Like a Barnes spitfire which they no longer make in .40 cal. How fast were the pr's flying?

40 caliber bonded.jpg mzl_maximus_45_165gr_with_sabot.jpg image on the left is a 225gr. Flury .40 cal. The other is a cutting edge raptor 165gr. Any one used these in 1-28 twist?

Those are a all lead bullet and I thought you can't push the velocity that much. They do have good b.c. I was thinking about an all copper or copper plated bullet. Like a Barnes spitfire which they no longer make in .40 cal. How fast were the pr's flying?
I was shooting them smokeless I thought around 2200. I found sabots to be my limit to fps. Pittman bullets also showed to have 250s you might be able to stablize. You should call Kyle Pittman he would know he's great to deal with.

I was shooting them smokeless I thought around 2200. I found sabots to be my limit to fps. Pittman bullets also showed to have 250s you might be able to stablize. You should call Kyle Pittman he would know he's great to deal with.
Don't know if my 1-28 twist will stabilize a .250 gr.

I have shot PR bullets and basically your gun will shoot them or it won't. I was able to push them full speed for BP subs in the guns that would shoot them. I had good luck with the 357s and duplex sabots in one 50cal but couldn't get them to shoot well in others.

Pistol bullets are a non-starter if you care about BC at all, with the exception of the various FTX bullets. Take a look at them. The .458 325gr is too big for your 45 but it worked wonderfully for my 50cal ML.

I'm not sure why you don't want to shoot Shockwaves. The 200gr 40cal is a good bullet that would do well for you; really not much else will meet the BC. I ran it to 400 yards in my regular ML and 500 yards smokeless. I had to keep shots over 150yds smokeless to let it slow down a bit but otherwise it worked fine, I killed at least 50-60 deer with it. The 250gr seems not to hold together quite as well but I shot a dozen or so with it with no problems either.

I have shot PR bullets and basically your gun will shoot them or it won't. I was able to push them full speed for BP subs in the guns that would shoot them. I had good luck with the 357s and duplex sabots in one 50cal but couldn't get them to shoot well in others.

Pistol bullets are a non-starter if you care about BC at all, with the exception of the various FTX bullets. Take a look at them. The .458 325gr is too big for your 45 but it worked wonderfully for my 50cal ML.

I'm not sure why you don't want to shoot Shockwaves. The 200gr 40cal is a good bullet that would do well for you; really not much else will meet the BC. I ran it to 400 yards in my regular ML and 500 yards smokeless. I had to keep shots over 150yds smokeless to let it slow down a bit but otherwise it worked fine, I killed at least 50-60 deer with it. The 250gr seems not to hold together quite as well but I shot a dozen or so with it with no problems either.[/QUOTE

Just had issues with them not mushrooming with the 50 cal. I would shoot deer and it would look like I shot them with a feild point, not good. But they shot paper great.

Thanks guys I going to try the .40 cal Barnes expanders in 195 gr. All copper bullet. Hopefully I can get them to shoot. Would like to push the velocity. B.C. 1.76@100 yards. Should have more than 500lb of energy to get to 300 yards.

I shoot both the 195BX and Hornady 200 SST with a light knurl on the bullet with Harvester light blue sabots. This is out of my 10ML 45 cal smokeless guns. Both bullets have killed a ton of deer for guys. Both are sub MOA for me, but the SST is a little more accurate. Im running them about 2600fps. I personally have not shot anything with the 195BX, but the SST at about 80 yards was a bang flop on a buck with the bullet stopping just under the skin on the offside shoulder.

Regarding Pittman bullets I have shot the 325 Accumax out of my Smokeless CF conversion and they are very accurate. Kyle is a top shelf guy.

He came out with a line of 40 cal accumax last year and the 225 were tested very successfully in sabots. Here is a link from his website to Hanks message board about the results.
http://hanksmessageboard.freeforums.net/thread/2644/pittman-bullets-accumax-grain-sabot

I guess I am just as much to fault as any one with trying to go farther and faster with muzzle loader's and shotgun's,but It is going to bite this area in the rear.I had some member's of the town council come into my shop with ad's for how both these new type of gun's will shot.Since none of them hunt they still believe that a 100 yard shot with either one is a long long shot.This is a shotgun only county and in-lines are allowed.I could not lie and told them yes .They already had a meeting set up with the state rep.So next year I might be hunting with a smooth bore shotgun and my old flint lock

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.