45-70 loads?

Lonewolf74

Ok I know the 45-70 isn't really a long range cartridge but it's the next on my list for load development...and I love it, sort of a novelty thing.

Anyway did a search and I didn't come up with a whole lot. So far I'm thinking IMR 4198 or H 4198 seem to be the top performers in this cartridge. I'm not looking to go too crazy but I'd like to get around 2200-2300 fps with 350 gr bullets.

So what are some good loads you have used?

Also what are some of the better bullets you have used? And expanding vs penetrating?

I did like the performance of the factory hornady 325 gr ftx but the factory ammo was slow and I read that you have to trim the case short to accommodate the slightly longer bullet so I don't think I wanna go that route.

I have some combined technology 300 gr and speer hot core 350 gr on the way to first play with.

Thanks for any help guy's

Your loads are limited by the firearm used. A Ruger #1 or converted Siamese Mauser can be loaded much hotter than a Marlin or Trapdoor.

Good luck

Jerry

Your loads are limited by the firearm used. A Ruger #1 or converted Siamese Mauser can be loaded much hotter than a Marlin or Trapdoor.

Good luck

Jerry

somewhat incorrect. Yes the older guns are loaded at lower chamber pressures, but a typical Marlin can be loaded to about 38K to 40K psi. The Ruger #3 and #1 along with some bolt guns can be loaded even higher. I would think a modern 1885 Hi-Wal would be able to take the same pressures than a bolt gun could being as the action is stronger.

Range wise, I've seen Sharps rifles in 45-70 and some other wildcats shoot 800+ yards very accurately. Also seen the Marlins and one Winchester 1886 shoot 600+ yards accurately.
gary

P.S. get ahold of an Accurate Powder manual, and start with it.

Ok I know the 45-70 isn't really a long range cartridge but it's the next on my list for load development...and I love it, sort of a novelty thing.

Anyway did a search and I didn't come up with a whole lot. So far I'm thinking IMR 4198 or H 4198 seem to be the top performers in this cartridge. I'm not looking to go too crazy but I'd like to get around 2200-2300 fps with 350 gr bullets.

So what are some good loads you have used?

Also what are some of the better bullets you have used? And expanding vs penetrating?

I did like the performance of the factory hornady 325 gr ftx but the factory ammo was slow and I read that you have to trim the case short to accommodate the slightly longer bullet so I don't think I wanna go that route.

I have some combined technology 300 gr and speer hot core 350 gr on the way to first play with.

Thanks for any help guy's

your probably using a lever gun (you never told us). With a 325 grain bullet, you can expect something in the area 1950 fps, and drop about 100fps with the 350 grain bullet. I recommend the Speer 405 grain bullet. Works very well in the 450 Marlin, so it should do well in the 45-70
gary

I've got a couple of 45-70's, both Marlin Lever Guns. One is the long barreled rifle, the other a short barreled guide gun.

I shot factory ammo for years but just for fun picked up some Peregrine Bushmaster .458 cal 380gr bullets and some Reloader 10x and Reloader 7 to push them.

I was really struck with the velocities from both guns and accuracy was more than good with both powders but both accuracy and velocity were best with Reloader 7.

I killed one really big old sow with the guide gun at just shy of 150yds. Had a straight on head/chest shot and when she turned her head I put it just above the sternum.

Got a complete pass through just below her anus and she was deader than dirt before even hitting the dirt.

It wouldn't be my first choice for an elephant or Cape Buffalo but I wouldn't be afraid to use it on anything else.

For grins I set up some milk jugs at 100, 200, and 300 yards and with the long barrel had no problem at all.

The 45-70 has always been a favorite and I'm really impressed with these bullets for it.

My gun is the Marlin 1895 stainless guide gun so I have the 18.5" barrel, however according to several things I've read including info on the buffalo boar ammo the 45-70 isn't affected as much by barrel length so I shouldn't expect to lose more than 50 fps vs the longer barrel. Though we'll see how it actually ends up. I know guy's have pushed em over 2300 fps with 350 gr bullets and over 2000 fps with 400 gr bullets. Again I'm not worried about pushing it real hard but wanna get the performance if I can. Really I would just like to keep drop around 8-9" from 100 to 200 yrds. With the factory hornady the drop is about 12". Maybe it won't be attainable but this is what I'm shooting for

Wild Rose thanks for the tips, after finding some load tables I am really considering the RL7 or 10x volocity and group size looked promising in there test.

Thanks all for the responses

Wild Rose thanks for the tips, after finding some load tables I am really considering the RL7 or 10x volocity and group size looked promising in there test.

Thanks all for the responses
Without getting too long winded, the drive banded bullets like I'm using have a greatly reduced bearing surface which allows them to shoot at much higher velocities with lower pressures than a slab sided bullet.

I was really leery of the solid copper bullets after fifty years of almost excsusively shooting tradition lead core bullets because I'd had really poor results with the few I'd tried, mostly Barnes.

I got started shooting the Peregrines while I was in Africa due to a couple of terrible bullet failures with the Swifts I'd brought with me and they've done nothing but blow me away since in every rifle and caliber I've tried.

They consistently shoot better than anything I've tried that's comparable and are just ridiculously consistnt and predictable with respect to terminal performance. '

I've always been a big Hornady fan, particularly the Interbond but I'd encourage you to give a box of the Peregrines a try. I don't think you'll be at all disappointed.

https://www.peregrinebullets.com/bushmaster-reloading-bullets/

Love my 1898 marlin 22" barrel!
50.5 grns of H4198, 405 grn cast performance bullets, 2090 fps, very bad medicine?

Tom

Get you a Sharps single shot copy and shoot 500+ grs bullets with black powder. You would not want me shooting at you from 1000 yards. :D

Out of a Marlin 51.8 grs IMR 4198 and a Sierra 300 gr HP is mighty accurate and mighty potent. Really does a number on deer.

I have gotten good accuracy with 350gr Hornady SP's using 58gr IMR3031/Win LR primers, Winchester brass. Work up loads from 55 gr. My rifle is a Shilo Sharps, 26". I estimate velocities in the 2200FPS range and groups run 1 MOA or better.

Without getting too long winded, the drive banded bullets like I'm using have a greatly reduced bearing surface which allows them to shoot at much higher velocities with lower pressures than a slab sided bullet.

I was really leery of the solid copper bullets after fifty years of almost excsusively shooting tradition lead core bullets because I'd had really poor results with the few I'd tried, mostly Barnes.

I got started shooting the Peregrines while I was in Africa due to a couple of terrible bullet failures with the Swifts I'd brought with me and they've done nothing but blow me away since in every rifle and caliber I've tried.

They consistently shoot better than anything I've tried that's comparable and are just ridiculously consistnt and predictable with respect to terminal performance. '

I've always been a big Hornady fan, particularly the Interbond but I'd encourage you to give a box of the Peregrines a try. I don't think you'll be at all disappointed.

https://www.peregrinebullets.com/bushmaster-reloading-bullets/

You have my attention on this one! I have been planning to work up a load for the Hornady 350 FN and a 350 gr. cast, I thought like the OP this might be great overall but I had better check into this bullet since decent velocities are possible !

You have my attention on this one! I have been planning to work up a load for the Hornady 350 FN and a 350 gr. cast, I thought like the OP this might be great overall but I had better check into this bullet since decent velocities are possible !
I'm pretty sure you wouldn't regret it.

If you prefer solids they also make both solid copper and solid brass bullets.

One thing I'd love to try someday is a Ruger No. 1 in .458wm running these bullets.

I have absolutely no use for one but it would be a blast.:D

Thank you all for the responses. Wild rose I'm absolutely gonna get some of those peregrine bullets. Right at the moment the 380 gr is out of stock but I'm interested in the 343 gr for a slightly lighter deer load, probably get both to play with.

Can you tell me what volocity your getting with the 380 gr out of the shorter barreled guide gun?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.