45-70 Help

SArnold30

I've used Barnes in several other rifles, but this is my first time using them in my 45-70 (Marlin 1895 GBL). Currently using the 300 gr TSX FB and working up charges with IMR 4227. Using the minimum load of 38.5 gr, when I seat to the recommended COL per the Barnes manual (2.515") the bullet appears to me that it's too deep in the case and just doesn't look right to me. If they're seated to the cannelure then they're about .300" inches over max case length, so I don't think that's the solution either. Anyone have experience with these?

The two I've loaded so far chamber fine and I've included a photo of them. I don't want to load anymore until I contact Barnes tomorrow. Or is this the normal appearance for these?

Attachments

• IMG_1553.jpeg
    IMG_1553.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 152
You are loading the WRONG Barnes bullet for the 45-70. The correct .458 300gr TSX FN bullet has a huge flat nose with a 1/2" open cavity. The correct bullet when seated properly will align a groove for crimping and will cycle through the action of a Marlin without any issues.

I shoot the Barnes 300TSX FN at 2,000 fps. Recoil is moderate and the bullet is devastating on whitetails and black bears.

Barnes called for trim length off of 2.095", but these are all the standard 2.100". I don't know as if the .005" is enough to make the difference here.

You are loading the WRONG Barnes bullet for the 45-70. The correct .458 300gr TSX FN bullet has a huge flat nose with a 1/2" open cavity. The correct bullet when seated properly will align a groove for crimping and will cycle through the action of a Marlin without any issues.

I shoot the Barnes 300TSX FN at 2,000 fps. Recoil is moderate and the bullet is devastating on whitetails and black bears.
I wondered if this was the case, but I know people have used these in 45-70 as well. Maybe I'll look at the FN instead.

I shoot the Barnes 300TSX FN at 2,000 fps. Recoil is moderate and the bullet is devastating on whitetails and black bear
I think you're spot on here now that I've had a moment to look at the difference between the two bullets. 🤦‍♂️

McPherson On Leverguns, is a book written by M.L. McPherson a Colorado gunsmith. On pages 14, 15, and 16 he details a few simple mods to allow use of 45-70 cartridge up to 2.665-inch in an 1895 Marlin. All the stuff that guy writes about, has that bit of serious useful logic.

I wondered if this was the case, but I know people have used these in 45-70 as well. Maybe I'll look at the FN instead.

There is another issue with the bullet that you purchased. It is designed for 458 Win mag and similar cartridges, which all develop considerably more velocity. The 45-70 needs a bullet designed for a much lower impact velocity. The 300 TSX-FN has a gaping hollow point which readily expands at a much lower impact velocity than the bullet you tried to use.

For specific info on minimum velocity for expansion, take a look at the Barnes site.

The correct bullet for .45-70 is Barnes #30630. If you pick some up, you might want to check the diameter before you size your case necks. All mine measured at .457" exactly, so the first batch I seated had so little neck tension I could move the bullets around with just my fingers before crimping. Ended up ordering a Lyman M die as it's slightly undersized. Problem solved!

I was going to say check the product number and make sure they're for 45-70's instead of 458 magnums. Just like 50cal bullets that are designed for 50ae and not for 500spl/mag.

I've used Barnes in several other rifles, but this is my first time using them in my 45-70 (Marlin 1895 GBL). Currently using the 300 gr TSX FB and working up charges with IMR 4227. Using the minimum load of 38.5 gr, when I seat to the recommended COL per the Barnes manual (2.515") the bullet appears to me that it's too deep in the case and just doesn't look right to me. If they're seated to the cannelure then they're about .300" inches over max case length, so I don't think that's the solution either. Anyone have experience with these?

The two I've loaded so far chamber fine and I've included a photo of them. I don't want to load anymore until I contact Barnes tomorrow. Or is this the normal appearance for these?
Does not look like the right bullet for a magazine tube feed 45-70!

Recent Posts