.44mag for Hogs

I have the Lyman 429421 mold too and it's a great shooting bullet. I cast them out of wheelweights with about 2% tin added, the added expense of the tin is worth it to me when the bullets come out that pretty! Midrange load of unique and it will go end to end on Texas hogs. The XTP is a great bullet too, I don't think you can push one too fast out of a 44 or 45 cal handgun either as they hold up really well.

I don't remember who was making them but there was a 260-270 grain Wide Flat Nose that I bought 15-20 years ago for the 44, pretty hard lead and the nose was almost full diameter flat. I always wanted to hunt with them but never did. Cool bullets.

I've shot a boat load of hogs with the XTP's in .40 S&W, 10mm, .41 Mag, .44 Mag, and .45ACP. The old Winchester Dual Bond, which was essentially a bullet inside of a bullet was the best deep penetrating expanding bullet perhaps of all time but they were expensive to produce and eventually no longer profitable for Winchester so they were discontinued.

The only time I've ever gotten into trouble with the XTP's requiring several follow up's was when things were pretty wild and I kept putting them into the shield of a big boar. Can't blame the bullet for that.

Many years ago there was a manufacturer who's name now escapes me that produced a hard cast lead HP that had a Tungsten dart in the center and they were awesome but the "cop killer bullet" craze forced them to cease production. Those penetrators would give you a complete pass through shoulder to shoulder on even the biggest of boars.

I have the Lyman 429421 mold too and it's a great shooting bullet. I cast them out of wheelweights with about 2% tin added, the added expense of the tin is worth it to me when the bullets come out that pretty! Midrange load of unique and it will go end to end on Texas hogs. The XTP is a great bullet too, I don't think you can push one too fast out of a 44 or 45 cal handgun either as they hold up really well.

I don't remember who was making them but there was a 260-270 grain Wide Flat Nose that I bought 15-20 years ago for the 44, pretty hard lead and the nose was almost full diameter flat. I always wanted to hunt with them but never did. Cool bullets.
I think that was Grizzly but it's been quite a while.

They still make one in a hard cast.

They even make a 300gr but i'm not sure where you'd have to go for load data and that would be pretty hard on the shooter in a pistol but nice and snappy in a .44mag rifle.

I believe that if you shoot jacketed bullets they should be 0.239''. For cast bullets you should ''slug'' your barrel to get the correct diameter for that barrel only.

I've shot deer with my 8" Dan Wesson using the Lyman 429244. It's a semi wadcutter designed by Ray Thompson. Uses the same top punch as the Keith 429421. Drops them very fast. Farthest I ever had one go was about 50 yards.

They still make one in a hard cast.

They even make a 300gr but i'm not sure where you'd have to go for load data and that would be pretty hard on the shooter in a pistol but nice and snappy in a .44mag rifle.
Thanks, that looks like the one!! They shot really well, with electric ears you could hear them hit the target backer and the berm LOL.

My bad. Should be 0.429''.
This retirement thing is, in some respects, not what I was lead to believe
The only thing worse than getting old enough to retire is the alternative.

I advise everyone who can to live their life as fully as possible before retirement and once our mobility is gone we'll still have a lifetime of good memories.

I decided in my 20's I'd live my life in reverse and do everything I dreamed of before turning 60 and I've just about gott'r done.:D