.408 Cheytac/.416 Barrett

ARM28

Has anyone taken any game with these two calibers? Do you have any pics you could post?

Reason I ask is I have another Bison Hunt scheduled for this year (Dec) and I have a Cheytac(.375 on hand .408 almost ready) but am wondering if the Barrett might be a bit better.

I know it is possible to load the .416 Barrett up past 3400fps with a 400+ Projectile. Is it possible to have the .408 Cheytac loaded to 3000 or so fps with a 419 gr Projectile. I have a 32" barrel being installed on mine.

Any Info would be greatly appreciated

Very Respectfuly

A R McCain

Has anyone taken any game with these two calibers? Do you have any pics you could post?

Reason I ask is I have another Bison Hunt scheduled for this year (Dec) and I have a Cheytac(.375 on hand .408 almost ready) but am wondering if the Barrett might be a bit better.

I know it is possible to load the .416 Barrett up past 3400fps with a 400+ Projectile. Is it possible to have the .408 Cheytac loaded to 3000 or so fps with a 419 gr Projectile. I have a 32" barrel being installed on mine.

Any Info would be greatly appreciated

Very Respectfuly

A R McCain

Are you talking about the 419 Lost River Bullet ? If so, that is not much of a game bullet. There are 420 gr. expanding type bullets availble now in .408

I would personally take a Buffalo with a 64 lb. longbow...

But, hey what do I know.

If you don't archery hunt I think one of these might kill a buffalo.

Are you talking about the 419 Lost River Bullet ? If so, that is not much of a game bullet. There are 420 gr. expanding type bullets availble now in .408

Yes, I was planning on using one of the 420gr expanding bullets. I think Vigilance rifles sells them.

Thank You

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.