400-50 MT MULEY TAG

Farmerbrown32

My buddy drew this tag and was wondering if anybody could give some info on it? Tag has a quota of 100. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

does your buddy live in Montana? If I recall right that tag is good for the last two weeks of the season. (nov 16-29th). Interesting tag to apply for, I imagine the fella has some good info regarding the area? I used to coyote hunt that area quite a bit.

Yes he is a mt resident. Yes it is for the lst two weeks of season. He says he is pretty sure he didnt apply for it and must have been a glitch. So no he doesn't know much about the area at all.

I"m new to this system, if you can send me a private message and I'll chat with you

Yes he is a mt resident. Yes it is for the lst two weeks of season. He says he is pretty sure he didnt apply for it and must have been a glitch. So no he doesn't know much about the area at all.

Area 400 is the Lower Marias River area and it is a large hunting district. I am ~an hour south of it and have hunted part of it before. Lots of big bucks there, and so as grizzlies.

Did your friend apply face-to-face or online? In either case "IF" he did not apply for it and it's a glitch in the system, he needs to resolve it with FWP in Region 4, because they are the only one that can fix it. Both means of application (at least prior to COVID-19) gives the applicant the opportunity to review their application. In face-to-face, the FWP rep will ask the applicant and confirm if what they applying/purchasing for is correct. I did everything online this year and if there was an error, it would be on me. 😇 The system gave me an opportunity to review what I was applying before being processed.

Good luck!

Feenix, are you sure you're not confusing 400 with 441? Your comment about lots of big bucks and grizzlies made me wonder? Though for sure those G bears can follow the creeks out about anywhere...:)

Sounds like a somewhat widespread glitch in the system. I reviewed my app and did not apply for a unit I got drawn for, Mule Deer buck in Drummond 217-50 but its by my normal hunting area so I figure why not. Didn't cost me points either.

Feenix, are you sure you're not confusing 400 with 441? Your comment about lots of big bucks and grizzlies made me wonder? Though for sure those G bears can follow the creeks out about anywhere...:)

LOL! Yep, that is a fact. A friend's ranch on the Teton River (half an hour north of me, 404 area) has a few grizzlies that they and FWP have been monitoring. 441? If that's where the Black Leaf WMA, I hunted it too as well as areas from the Sun River to the gulches (Home, Norweigian, etc.) near Gibson Reservoir.

Looks like it this is the first year they offered this tag as there are no draw stats for 2019. So it probably was a general tag last year. Online when you choose through the drop down menu, it is pretty easy to bump your scroll, and end up with a unit you didn't intend to apply for.

I am from up there and have hunted it my whole life. It is beautiful country with high deer densities but low trophy quality. The season used to run from late October to Mid November. Access is tough as mule deer bucks in northern MT are pretty well safe guarded. Honestly I'm really surprised they did this. In typical MT FWP fashion they thought more about opportunity than herd quality and health. There's 100 Draw Doe tags for that unit. They should have given 100 more as herds are way out of balance. In my lifetime I have shot only one truly nice mule deer in that unit and maybe seen 6-12 other Deer killed that were mature truly great bucks for their perspective home zone, most in the 150-160" range 3 Just over 170" and two true giants of 185+. The deer in the picture below is the largest deer ever shot on my grandmother's ranch took 17 years to find a buck that big and I shot him 60 seconds before the other guy pulled up to shoot him from the BMA across the canyon.
There's two types of landowners in that unit ones who want every deer gone and others who will only let you shoot a doe. With a large plethora of hunters who don't care as long as it has antlers it's dead. The one positive thing I can tell you is. You will never eat a better tasting mule deer in your life.
I wish you the best of luck and feel free to PM me with questions.
84E11F46-B7F0-4C1B-92E1-C043D7191550.jpeg
7FD973F2-45F3-46F3-BC35-740CFD40D2D3.jpeg
D89406C0-BB5F-46A7-A37E-EC447028BEC0.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts