Idaho General Tag Muleys let's see em!!!!

dzlfarmboy

Just curious what kind of luck some of your guys have had hunting for decent Muley bucks in Idaho with a general season tag. Looking to possibly do this hunt this fall so im on the grind of doing as much research I can and any input on good areas to suggest I'm all ears. This will be my second western big game hunt. DIY backpacking of coarse.

Thanks Brett

It's been quite awhile sense using a general tag but used to be very successful. My suggestion to you would be to do the home work and put in for a unit that has a late hunt so to hunt during the rut if you are looking for a big guy. My first choice for a wall hanger would be unit 45 but very difficult to draw. Second would be up here where I hunt unit 22 and 18. The border between the two and on the Snake river side of 18. Steep kick butt country but there are some monsters in here. Hunt as late as you can or are equipped for. Eastern Idaho especially unit 76 used to be great when the seasons ran until the middle of November. Largest buck I have ever saw was in Stump Creek but a buddy went in there about four years ago and in a five day hunt saw one forked horn. Quad tracks everywhere.

The wolves have had a impact so do the home work. Good luck to you.

Thanks for the replys, I'd like to start applying for draw units but its hard to find a dedicated partner that's 100% into it enough like me and I'm still learning a lot about this draw/public land western hunting so general/OTC tags are better suited for me at the moment. Last year was my first western big game hunt +100%DIY

So do you have any suggestions on good Muley populated general units ? As I've never set foot in idaho before. So I'm gonna be dong an awful lot of Internet "scouting"

Are these stats very accurate from what you've noticed over the years?

Thanks Brett.

Brett, I can't speak to the whole state, but up here is the Clearwater area the best bet for general mulley's would be in the units along the Salmon river on the north side of the river such as units 19 & 20. Hunting is very very rough & steeeeeep! But there are some really good bucks if you hunt hard and are patient. These units also generally go later until Nov 18th or so if I remember. You better have incredible legs and wind with a strong back. Units 19A & 20A can be good in places and actually the bucks there generally have better mass, but the wolves have really impacted those units and the season is shorter. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.