40-82 WCF Question

huntokanogan

Admittedly this is not a "long range" question.
I have an old winchester lever action 40-82 handed down through my family since the early 1900's. I don't know the excact model as my great grandfather "modernized" it for hunting in the 20's. Made the hexagon barrel round, cut the tube down ect.. too bad but happy to have it either way. I think its a model 88.
I have one old box of ammo that I shot a couple rounds out of when I was younger. I decided i would not shoot anymore of the original shells as they are sentimental to me.
I ordered a new box of shells from buffalo bore which they had to custom make and they were not cheap. But I would really like to shoot a deer with it.
When I got them I was suprised to see that they were brass jacketed bullets and the originals were lead.
My question is will the brass ammo lead to high pressure issues?
The gun is so old I would hate to hurt it by shooting the wrong ammo.
Also if anybody has 40-82 rounds, brass or dies I would be interested in them.
Thanks

I can't be much help I am afraid. But I have a friend with an old Marlin in 40-82. I may aquire it, so I have been looking high and low for brass and or loaded ammo at every gun show I have been at for the last two years. I have not found one round. If you don't mind me asking what was the cost of your ammo.

Thanks
Jeff

You guys need to look at Buffalo Arms for black powder cartridge stuff!! http://www.buffaloarms.com

I believe you can make the 40-82 from the 45-90 case or 45 Basic cases, just size them down. The 45-70 is to short to size down for the 82, works good for the 65. Buffalo Arms has a few case options for the 40-82 and some loaded ammo.

Might check with Starline Brass, Sedalia, MO. They've made a pretty good niche for themselves doing a lot of the old blackpowder cases and have revived a lot of obsolete cases this way. Might still be some foring required, but they'd likely have the cases closest to the 40-82. Worth a check.

I've never herd of that one. Good info. Thank you. I did see that Midway USA had 40-82 brass on their for sale list. I was just hoping to find somebody that had some rat holed somewhere first.

Give 'em a call; (660) 827-6640. They do direct sales, as well as through Midway and a few others. Pretty decent brass, reasonable prices.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.