378 weatherby

postaleagle

I was just wondering, with such a large case capacity, what wildcats have been based on this case. (other than the 30-378 and 338-378). How would a .25 or 7mm perform? Anyone ever heard of such?

My buddy has an 8mm-378 chambered in a BRNO Mauser with a set trigger. It's pretty darn nice. I don't remember the chrony specs off the top of my head, but I will get them for ya and post here.

As for using a .25-378 I can't help but think you would just burn barrels extremly fast, even with a 378 case I would bet you couldn't get a .25 over 4300-4500FPS. I would certianly be intrested in seeing such a wildcat, but I bet it would burn barrels like you wouldn't belive.

seeing that the 30-378 is already way overbore , I don't think that you would be gaining much by making a 25-378 unless you were using a 40" barrel and some sort of super slow powder.
From what I've seen , I think that with standard barrel lenght say 28" , the 25-300Win mag will do about everthing that the larger cased rounds will do with less powder.
Speed is a great thing in some cases but most of the time your gonna find that a round will shoot its best at a lower speed tan you want to get , like the 6.5-284 it could possibaly run a 140gr bullet out at close to 3000fps with a long tube and slow powder and around 60 or grains of powder. and a 6.5-300RUM might be able to run that same bullet out at maybe 3500 fps but I'd be willing to bet that it would not be nearly as accurat as the 6.5-284.
And I don't care what you shooting ,you just can't miss a critter fast enough to kill it !!!

have you ever heard of the Eargensplitzenloudenbooomer ????
just neck it down to .224 and you have a 50 shot barrel life . do your self a favor and leave a 378 a .375 and dont go smaller than .338. A 25-378 Wby.is much better as a ditch burner than a legitimate varmint -big game cartridge

[ QUOTE ]
Build one and let us all know how it works

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah and after 10 shots replace the barrel! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Roy is working night and day to solve the bore burnout from powder temperature issue. He'll have this solved by the weekend and we will all be shooting 17-408CTs or 204-50BMGs.

[ QUOTE ]
Roy is working night and day to solve the bore burnout from powder temperature issue. He'll have this solved by the weekend and we will all be shooting 17-408CTs or 204-50BMGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.