375 Ruger vs 338 Lapua for hunting?

WEATHERBY460

I'm I correct that a 300 grain 338 Lapua vs a 300 grain 375 Ruger, the Lapua has more energy and would be more devastating on big game?

Depends what you are trying to do. The 338 will probably have better BC and retain more down range energy, but your statement is a little too generic. Compare specific bullets with specific velocity and then we can have a discussion.

I'm I correct that a 300 grain 338 Lapua vs a 300 grain 375 Ruger, the Lapua has more energy and would be more devastating on big game?

Yes, you are correct. Below is a 300g Interbond out of .375R and 285g BTHP out of .338 LM from Hornady 10th ed reloading manual.

1668259681694.png

1668259772325.png

Hmmm. Looks like depending on the choice of projectile and speed required for expansion the .338 clearly outshines beyond 300 yards. Some judge shooting distance by downrange energy (ft-lbs) and more seem to use retained speed for specific bullet performance. Suppose the huge factor is what type of big game at what distances...

I think the 338 outshines even at 100
What are you trying to kill? There aren't many things a Lapua would drop at .375 Ruger ranges that a .375 Ruger would not. A .375 Ruger loaded with proper ammo should be devastating to 300+ yards. It isn't generally used as a long range cartridge.

Energy alone is not the sole factor in determining performance on game. A .375 caliber bullet can have a noticeably different impact on large, tough animals than a .338.

Just looking at the numbers the common higher BC 338 bullets are going to easily out run the common 375s out past 400 yards or so. You'd have to go pretty heavy in the 375 to get your BC up there but then you're giving up a lot of velocity. I get good consistent accuracy out of my 375 Ruger out to 400-500 yards but those lower BC bullets loose gas fast around 400-500yards. On big heavy game the 338 bullets will do great. There are issues reported on shots in the 500 and beyond region of bullets not expanding on deer/antelope size game. But, in the 2000fps and higher region either will really rock anything.

That chart had some mild 375 ruger loads, so it's a bit biased in that regard.

With that said I've had this internal debate, although it's not entirely apples to apples. It's basically a 6.5 prc with 150s vs a 3006 with 150s.

Lapua
High bc 250 and 300 grain bullets
High quality brass from several companies
Prevalent factory loadings

Downside
Loose a round in adl and bdl
Velocity loss in shorter barrels is always more pronounced the more overbore you go.
Less action and bdl options.

375 ruger
My 20 inches is withing 40 fps of 26 inch nosler book data.
Fits in any action
One more round down

Cons
Bc in 260 and 300 grain pills is geared toward 0 to 300
Limited brass and ammo options

I've shot a budget 375 ruger launching sps seconds so much it's starting to dissolve itself. I've been debating making an identical configured rifle with premium components, as it's been great daily carry brush rifle. Have thought about doing a slight deviation and making a 338 lapua with just a bit more barrel length.. Reality is if you need to hammer something in a compact package under 300 yards... 375. If you want to go beyond that it's time to step up to the sleeker bullets.

I've got a question for you Fifty. It's a detour but not a bad one.

With the laupa and .590 bolt face cartridges, is there a hunting style bdl that holds more than 2x down currently?

My college budget build 375 ruger is getting long in the tooth and I'd like to build a similarly configured full custom. Truth be told I've enough 375 rooogah brass to last another gun, but a 338 lapua/norma or even something like the 375-338 lapua sounds more interesting. Brass... performance.... etc all seem like valid reasons.

Living where I do some of my friends have been bear guiding since late high school. Seems like eventually they all have a come to Jesus wounded bear experience and have a local smith fit a canoe belly bottom metal to get that coveted 4th round down on the 375 hh. I remember the time my childhood friend came back and had it done, it was filmed client hunt and you could hear him racking the bolt and firing even after the bear was down and the magazine empty. When pressed on the subject he said he adrenaline had him racking the bolt and praying another round would materialize in thin air.

I've never had to hit a charging bear but was involved in two as an adolescent in the village, but whatever I build will be a bear defense gun first and lob bullets long range second. Enough guides put stock in capacity so I'm inclined to think it matters enough to consider.

Have decided modern metal is good enough adl is overkill, but I'm not ready for a magazine wart on a daily carry gun. Defiance makes a lapua/gibbs bdl, but I'm under the assumption it'd 2 down.

I know you've built a tremendous amount of lapua based rifles and wildcats. Any hinged floorplates allow me to put 3 down?

I've got a question for you Fifty. It's a detour but not a bad one.

With the laupa and .590 bolt face cartridges, is there a hunting style bdl that holds more than 2x down currently?

My college budget build 375 ruger is getting long in the tooth and I'd like to build a similarly configured full custom. Truth be told I've enough 375 rooogah brass to last another gun, but a 338 lapua/norma or even something like the 375-338 lapua sounds more interesting. Brass... performance.... etc all seem like valid reasons.

Living where I do some of my friends have been bear guiding since late high school. Seems like eventually they all have a come to Jesus wounded bear experience and have a local smith fit a canoe belly bottom metal to get that coveted 4th round down on the 375 hh. I remember the time my childhood friend came back and had it done, it was filmed client hunt and you could hear him racking the bolt and firing even after the bear was down and the magazine empty. When pressed on the subject he said he adrenaline had him racking the bolt and praying another round would materialize in thin air.

I've never had to hit a charging bear but was involved in two as an adolescent in the village, but whatever I build will be a bear defense gun first and lob bullets long range second. Enough guides put stock in capacity so I'm inclined to think it matters enough to consider.

Have decided modern metal is good enough adl is overkill, but I'm not ready for a magazine wart on a daily carry gun. Defiance makes a lapua/gibbs bdl, but I'm under the assumption it'd 2 down.

I know you've built a tremendous amount of lapua based rifles and wildcats. Any hinged floorplates allow me to put 3 down?
The sunny hill rigby/lapua hinged floorplate holds three and is flush with the bottom of the stock, use them all the time on my Stalker rifles.

if someone came to me with your purpose in mind, i would never recommend a lapua class case for a DEFENSIVE bear gun. Hunting, yes, for sure but for purely defensive work, it would likely be on a standard belted mag case. Depending on the typical bear size in your area it would start at a 375 wby(can shoot 375 h&h in a pinch). If you have BIG bears, 416 rem mag or 458 Lott.

with that said, i would also recommend loading them to a point where pressure wise they were good performing but very comfortable for absolute function above all else.

long slender rounds feed like a dream, especially from a staggered box mag. the shorter and fatter the case gets the choppier they feed and the better they do with a center feed mag design, which right there drops one round of capacity.

a 400 gr. 416 at 2300 fps would be plenty potent, as would a 500 gr 458 at 2200 fps. Both 100-150 fps off max pressure levels but still plenty potent for close range battle and ensure function.

simply for the added rounds in the mag i would recomment that route. Even a 338 win mag loaded with something like the 300 gr accubond or 280 gr barnes at 2500 fps would be serious CLOSE RANGE bear stopper medicine. Not sexy but a serious fighting tool. That is the way i would go for a purely DEFENSIVE bear rifle.