375 H&H development

Warbird2006

What is a cost effective load development for 375 H&H. I use Barnes and they aren't cheap, also the powder ....

2 powders worked fantastic for me; Win 760 & H4350.
I also tried RE15 & Varget, the other 2 powders were the standouts with 260gr Accubond, Woodleigh 270gr PP & 300gr PP.
760 is a great powder in the 375, with 300gr Woodleigh I was getting 2610fps out of a 24" barrel.

Cheers.

Many years ago I had great luck with WW760.....but, that was pre-Barnes. I've heard of some getting good performance with RL16.....may be just rumors! memtb

My question was more how do you proceed with the load development? Do you load 30 rounds in .3 grains and see what is the accuracy?

In a 375, I do not load for precision as 1 load always produces a tighter group.
My Bee produces clover leafs with the best load usually, so I start 5% below max and work up in 1 grain increments. When the accurate charge is found with 3 shot groups, I then load above/below this number with .3 above/below in 2 increments for each.
It is rare for me to find an improvement, however. The only time ai did was with the 260gr Accubond, it's a seriously accurate bullet.

Cheers.

One of the easiest to reload for. Dozens of loads & bullets will shoot 1MOA or better.

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 4.14.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 4.14.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 4.15.32 PM.png

The 235 @300 shoots as flat as a 180 06'. The 270 & 300 will kill anything that walks.

What is a cost effective load development for 375 H&H. I use Barnes and they aren't cheap, also the powder ....
I'm using 70 I4320 with the 300tsx in rem brass with a mag primer... The rifle is a rem 700 lightweight with a 6x Nikon on top and she'll toss 3 inside an inch every time... I also have a load with rl 15 and the 285gr speer gs with a mag primer and rem brass... I could check the charge if you want but I'd just run it up in your rifle.
As to cast pills, I use a Lyman gas check mold for a 38-55 that produces 280 grain pills lubed and ready. I seat the bullet far enough out in engages the rifling on chambering (you never want the heel of a lead bullet below the case neck) and push it down range with rl 7; it'll shoot better than 2 moa (usually 1.5) and it recoils like a 25-06 or so.

My question was more how do you proceed with the load development? Do you load 30 rounds in .3 grains and see what is the accuracy?
I would run it up a grain or two at a time unless you are very close to the top. A 375 isn't a small cartridge and small changes will not be noticed much at all. I never have tried to find the absolute top for any of my bigger rifles..

So, when I couldn't find Hornady .375's I switched to Accubonds. Went to the Nosler load data site and found their most accurate powder and their most accurate charge and loaded up 3 cartridges. Went to my 'range' and shot them at 100 yards off of my hunting pack stacked on a Work Mate. 2 were touching and both right on the center line. My third shot was 1\4" off the first two. I suppose I could have tried to 'work up' from there. Figured that was close enough. Over the last 2 years, that load has been remarkably consistent out to 475 yds(the length of my range).

I shoot 300 gr Barnes TSX with 67 grs of IMR 4064, Fed 215 primer and Nosler Brass. I get 2510 from a 22" Barrel in SAKO 85 Kodiak black laminate stainless. It is sub MOA and has one Cape Buffalo and one Nilgai Antelope under its belt this year:)! Amazed how accurate that big round is.

Are you considering going to Africa? If so, a more temperature stable powder than 760 is preferable. I like 4350, which gives produces around 2630fps with 300gr billets in my Sako. Very easy cartridge to load for, and very consistent.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.