375 cheytac

screech

This is just a thank you and somewhat hopefully helpful to someone down the road playing with the cheytac. The specs of my gun are

Stiller 1.45 single shot

Jewel bottom safety trigger

Manners stock. I can't remember the exact model but it was the lightest stock manners said would work with a 1.45 action.

Benchmark 10.5 twist in a "Idaho hunter" contour if my memory serves me correctly. Sorry ordered everything a few years ago and finally have had time to put it together.

Jp recoil eliminator muzzle break

Topped with a 8-32nxs in night force rings.

The chamber is a factory 375 cheytac reamer made by ptg.

I ran retumbo in it from 130grains all the way to 135 and the best I could get was a 1inch group at 134grains with a 350gr. Smk. I never chronographed any of these loads none of them shot well enough to worry about most being 1.5 inches at 100yards.

I picked up 1lb of reloader 33 and started at 135 grains it gave me a 1inch group but it was a cloverleaf so for a 1inch group it looked good. I then tried 136 and it shot a 3/16 inch group and 137 started opening back up again. I ran 136 grains over my ohler 35p and it says it's giving me 2973fps average with a 24fps extreme spread. 12 higher 12 lower. Over three shots. I know 3 shots isn't great for a extreme spread but my barrel heats up to much to shoot more than 3 at a time.

Mostly I'm just posting this to help someone in the future looking for loading data for the 375 cheytac with reloader 33. I didn't find much when I looked. Oh and for anyone's information a sub 16lb 375 cheytac is a handful. I could probably get more velocity because I'm not seeing pressure signs but it works for me. Oh brass is Bertram.

I want to thank all the parts manufacturers for making quality products and say that I'm very impressed with how fast my benchmark barrel broke in and cleans up. Will definitely be happy to use another one down the road. As far as jp, manners, stiller and jewel, great products I use all the time.

Thanks for the post. I'm running a Cheytac very similar in specs to yours. Currently at 134 grains of Retumbo, but will definitely give the RL33 a shot!!

Thanks again for sharing....

Marcus

It seems that normally I get the first two shots close to touching, but the third wanders on me. So usually an overall .75 to sometimes 1 MOA group. Not horrible, but I'm hoping for better. I don't have exact velocity data with me but around 2850-2875 with an ES that runs in the teens. Shooting the cutting edge 350's.

Marcus

Ya I was having the same thing with retumbo then reloader 33 seemed to go more clover leaf happy on me and started making little clusters. I just shot it at 700-1280 yards tonight and it seemed to hover around 1-1.5 minutes on rocks at those ranges. But that was with crappy at best shooting rest basically shooting right up the mountain behind the house. Going to get a bubble level to make sure gun sits vertical every time. Normally don't have much trouble with a standard stock but the vertical grip on mine seems to be harder to keep vertical so I'm getting a lot of wind age movement.

I have some 375gr. Rocky Mountain bullets coming to try out I'll try to post when I get some in the air. Sadly I won't have time till November to do it though.

Our 394g Hammer Hunter took Roy's 375AM from 3/4moa on a good day to consistent 1/4moa. Designed for 10" twist at sea level and has plenty of meat on the drive bands to handle the torque created by the big CheyTac. Roy is running them at an easy 3130fps with a .46 G7BC.

Steve

Hey Steve,

I'm sure this Cheytac will be heading your way as soon as you're done with that Jarrett. I can't wait to see what those Hammers will do out of the 375.....

Hope all is well,

Marcus

Hey Steve,

I'm sure this Cheytac will be heading your way as soon as you're done with that Jarrett. I can't wait to see what those Hammers will do out of the 375.....

Hope all is well,

Marcus

Yep, finally got out and did just a little shooting today. Should be able to get drops done on a few rifles this week end. Was able to start testing the redesigned 303g .338. Looked good at 100y. Nice round holes and sub .5" group. Going out in the morning to shoot the 200y but and make sure they are printing round there. Then as soon as we can break away and get to the 1000y range we will have 4 rifles to shoot for drops. Including the Jarrett.

Steve

Rocky mtn what velocity are your bullets designed to reliably open up on game?

Everything is designed to open down to 1800. Roy is working on getting his bullet catcher set up at long range and see how far out he can catch one of the 394's. He caught one at 1170 (I think that was the distance) and it destroyed his media container. I think he was headed into the back country this week. I'm sure he will chime in here when he gets back. The higher sectional density bullets as a general rule open more easily than the smaller bullets.

Our 375 test rifle should be done in the next week. It has an 8 twist barrel and will work very well for low vel testing.

Steve

This is just a thank you and somewhat hopefully helpful to someone down the road playing with the cheytac. The specs of my gun are

Stiller 1.45 single shot

Jewel bottom safety trigger

Manners stock. I can't remember the exact model but it was the lightest stock manners said would work with a 1.45 action.

Benchmark 10.5 twist in a "Idaho hunter" contour if my memory serves me correctly. Sorry ordered everything a few years ago and finally have had time to put it together.

Jp recoil eliminator muzzle break

Topped with a 8-32nxs in night force rings.

The chamber is a factory 375 cheytac reamer made by ptg.

I ran retumbo in it from 130grains all the way to 135 and the best I could get was a 1inch group at 134grains with a 350gr. Smk. I never chronographed any of these loads none of them shot well enough to worry about most being 1.5 inches at 100yards.

I picked up 1lb of reloader 33 and started at 135 grains it gave me a 1inch group but it was a cloverleaf so for a 1inch group it looked good. I then tried 136 and it shot a 3/16 inch group and 137 started opening back up again. I ran 136 grains over my ohler 35p and it says it's giving me 2973fps average with a 24fps extreme spread. 12 higher 12 lower. Over three shots. I know 3 shots isn't great for a extreme spread but my barrel heats up to much to shoot more than 3 at a time.

Mostly I'm just posting this to help someone in the future looking for loading data for the 375 cheytac with reloader 33. I didn't find much when I looked. Oh and for anyone's information a sub 16lb 375 cheytac is a handful. I could probably get more velocity because I'm not seeing pressure signs but it works for me. Oh brass is Bertram.

I want to thank all the parts manufacturers for making quality products and say that I'm very impressed with how fast my benchmark barrel broke in and cleans up. Will definitely be happy to use another one down the road. As far as jp, manners, stiller and jewel, great products I use all the time.

screech and everyone,

Thanks for this, getting into a cheytac build. I have and can get some more RL33 so looking for some positives since retumbo is hard to get, sounds like you fellas found some positives with RL33.

Any more data on bullets? I'll be using Peterson brass and Fed 215Magnum match. Between 350 lazers which someone has said that the cheyytac powder column is designed for the lighter 350s, or the Berger 379? Any experience or advise from anyone since these posts?

Thanks in advance.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.