.340 Weatherby or .338 RUM

apapro

I would like to know if the .338 RUM will be more potent, such as higher velocities, with handloading.

I had a .340 Weatherby with a 26" Shilen barrel and was able to acheive 3025 fps with 250 gr. Barnes X's. Would the .338 RUM duplicate or beat these numbers, with good handloading????

If anyone has a ballistics program to run the numbers out to 1000 yards It would be appreiated. Thanks in advance.

I've had my RUM up to 3058 fps. With the right load and the right bullet [250gr] If you want to go fast get the 338-378.

I've got a 24" .340wby and I load 225gr Barnes X trip shocks. My avg velocity is 3100fps but that is a hot load. I have not shot 250's though. Its my understanding that you can push the .338rum faster with lower pressures. I think based on the fact that the .338 rum has more case capacity you could push it faster. I think if I were ever going to step up in a .338 cal rifle I'd go with a .338-.300Ultra improved version or the .338 Kahn. But I think the .338 Rum is a very good overall hunting cartridge. Plus it has no belt..

All things equal such as barrel length, throat length and chamber pressure with same bullets, the 338 RUM will offer slightly more performance then the 340 Wby will offer.

Also, it has cheaper brass which is generally much easier to get then 340 Wby hulls. The lack of a belt on the case is as mentioned a bonus as well.

About 100-125 fps of the 340 wbys velocity potential is due to its freebore chambers. When both are shot in rifles with conventional short throats, the 338 RUM will offer around 100 fps more velocity with same chamber pressures.

If you want to get into true 338 Lapua performance with out the .590" case head issues, Shawn Carlocks 338 Edge(338-300 RUM) is a great choice.

Kirby Allen(50)

'Ol Kirby's telling it like it is! I have a .338/300Rum and it is a real performer, mine has a bit of free bore and that doesn't hurt in the pressure and velocity dept.Kirby did that Canadian farmer ever catch up with you and Richard killing his hogs???ha ha ha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Nope got away clean /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

For those that have no sense of humor, we did not shoot any farmers hogs in canada, just to be clear!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for the info and opinions, I just put a deposit on a custom gun down at my local gunsmiths shop tonight. I settled on his own desing of 8.6 X 72 SDM. A Mcmillan A-5 stock and a complete over haul of my Rem 700 including teflon coated steel.

I saw a rifle, today, that he built for an ex military sniper on the same configurations and caliber and I must say it was impressive. The groups don't lie ( 4.5 " at 800 yards!!!) He shot a mule deer buck this past fall at a bit over 800!!!

This caliber will push 250gr. bullets at 3000 fps in a 24" pipe, so I made mine 25" and added a brake!!! It should be just over 26" overall.

Now I have to pick stock color and scope magnification. I'm thinking in the 4.5 x 14 x40 Leupold Mark 4. Should do me out to 1200 yards or so. Any suggestions??? As for color I'm thinking of sand with black webbing????

What is the parent case of the wildcat? Pretty hot performance to get 3000 fps with a 250 gr pill in a 24" pipe. Must be using the big Wby case or Rigby hulls.

Just curious on some specs!!

Kirby Allen(50)

The parent case is an 8 mm Rem Mag. It is fire formed with no body taper a 33min 8 deg shoulder(.338!!!) an its performance is awsome. The one group I saw tonight was about a 1.75 - 2" group at 500 yards!!!!!!!

I am a big time 340 nut case and have mo than a bit of experience with the road. (I'm on my 4th tube personally and have worked with many others)

To the point and end of resume

You were running a 250 at over 3 and that is a ton load for a 340. I've yet to of found one that would do over 3. I've found that 2900 is a very safe and comfy zone to end it at. Some will 2950 but I've not found one that I would push over 3 yet.

So, either you had an extremely fast and forgiving tube. Or you were really running the red line. And or perhaps you had a wonky reading of your clock and you didn't check it on other days and other clocks?

From what I can tell the RUM is gonna on ave best the 340 by 100 fps. If this is worth it then powder river let er rip.

Cost of 340 brass has never bothered me, and I usually run 10 or so loads out of a box. Have had em go as far as 12 and 13 on a few boxes.

I also used to make brass out of both 375 H&H and 8 RM. But, my time is too precious to me to bother with that any more.

On a side I love the big 33's and I really dote on them for long range work for chucks to elk.

Mark D

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.