33xc or 37xc

If it's just a small amount I wonder if the bolt stop can be modified to allow the bolt to come back enough for the tip of the loaded round to clear?

on a savage just file the back of the front baffle that is what hits the bolt stop.
my old 338 edge would eject at just over 4 inches.

jasent

What did you end up running for a bullet out of your 37XC?

I know on our shortened Snipetac that we built this spring that we were pushing the 361 Flat Lines at 3050. We seen a little pressure while down at Raton and at Spear Point in the high heat so we'll probably back it off a little and hope to float around 3000 to 3020.

What was interesting is we are running the same speed as when it was a standard Snipetac yet with 3 grains less powder.

Iamosoh
JH

jasent

I know on our shortened Snipetac that we built this spring that we were pushing the 361 Flat Lines at 3050. We seen a little pressure while down at Raton and at Spear Point in the high heat so we'll probably back it off a little and hope to float around 3000 to 3020.

What was interesting is we are running the same speed as when it was a standard Snipetac yet with 3 grains less powder.

Iamosoh
JH
currently running the 350gr smk at 2950. 118gr h1000. 32" barrel 1:10. Will play with the 361gr flatlines this spring

The reamer and receipt say 37XC Tubs revision 4

Attachments

• IMG_20200114_073131.jpg
    IMG_20200114_073131.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 107
The best option is to use the 112 Magnum action, like Jasent did. The standard Target action isn't designed for the Lapua like the 112 Magnum is. As long as you respect the design limitations of the action I don't see an issue with using an appropriate Savage action. The key is to keeping the pressures at appropriate levels and not just loading until you see "pressure signs". By the time you're blowing a primer on a Lapua sized case head, you've already gone too far and likely done damage to the action.
The reason I would go on the single port target action is that it is also a large shank action, same as the 112 magnum. The port won't eject a loaded lapua round, but will eject a lapua case. You get a solid bottom that lessens the lug setback. What about the 112 magnum makes it better for a longer lapua dia case?

The reason I would go on the single port target action is that it is also a large shank action, same as the 112 magnum. The port won't eject a loaded lapua round, but will eject a lapua case. You get a solid bottom that lessens the lug setback. What about the 112 magnum makes it better for a longer lapua dia case?

The Savage Lapua actions are heat treated differently than the standard target actions. They're also chrom moly instead of stainless. I've seen lug setback on a standard target action using a RUM case, the Lapua case will cause problems even faster.

jasent

Iamosoh
JH
Little update since I've finished load work on the Warner's.
120gr h1000 has me at 3040fps with the 361gr.
32" 1:10 McGowen barrel
Es of 9. No pressure signs

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.