.338WM load question

Jed Cooper

New member here from NC and howdy.

I know pressure signs can be difficult to read sometimes, so I'll share my info for any comments and thanks!
The rifle is a new Ruger Guide Gun in 338WM. Currently I'm using new Hornady brass, WLRM primers, RL19 and 225gr SST's.
I've worked up to 72.5grs of RL19 in new brass running 2.494". The primers are slightly flattened, and the necks are slightly smoked to the shoulder.

I wish I had some chrono data to share, but it's on the fritz. Hornady data suggests the max charge for this combo is 73.3grs of RL19. Recoil is mild, but I'm using the brake and bolt lift is smooth as butter. The smoked necks are telling me I not at max pressure, but wanted some input on the load.
Thanks

Hmmmm, 3 of my 338's run between 76gr to 78gr of RE19. This is totally safe in all 3.
Got the load from the Alliant guide book.
I run 225gr Accubonds...similar in shape to the Hornady.
Alliant guides after this one all dropped the max charges at least 3-5gr, some were even more.
My loads run from 2890fps-2950fps, all my rifles have 26" tubes.
A smoked neck is telling me it's not at max pressure, but my brass comes out a little smoked unevenly around the necks.

Cheers.

Nosler has the max load of RL 19 as 74.0 gr and 2780 fps.(FYI) They also show that 74 grains is a 105% fill compressed load.
Mine likes H 4831 SC at 74 gr., 225 Accubond, Fed 215 match and Norma brass for 2800 fps, 26" barrel.

By the way, welcome to the Forum.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.