338LM for Mule Deer?

Jaxdialation

I know the 338LM is on the surface massive overkill for Mule Deer.
But I'm thinking about taking mine along as a second gun for a hunt in November in case there is an opportunity for long range shooting.

Is there any way to tame the destruction this caliber puts on the carcass? All of the pictures I've seen, it seems that the 338 blows huge holes in the game. Would using target bullets (in hopes of a pass-trough) work? Seems to me it would be like using a bullet like an archery broadhead. A bleed out approach vs a ballistic wallop.

Any input appreciated.

I run the 300 smk in mine and I'll shoot anything from jack rabbits to bears with it...the mule deer that have encountered it have all been one and done.

If your using a high shoulder shot expect damage a covent iona heart and lung shot in my experience yields little damage and great results.

However you have to make a decision at extended distances where the high shoulder shot maybe more effective in dropping the intended target in its tracks..versus having them cover some ground before piling up.n

I have hunted everything from deer to moose with a 338 Edge. I don't thinks its over kill my self. There's a lot of variable's to meat damage. The biggest, is bullet construction and impact velocity. Hitting bone or not is right up there too. I shot a small meat buck last year and didn't ruin much meat. Shot this mule deer at 748 yards right through the shoulder with Berger 300gr OTM.

Attachments

• IMG_20141023_104756_889.jpg
    IMG_20141023_104756_889.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_20141023_095338_268.jpg
    IMG_20141023_095338_268.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 148
I shoot a 338 lapua IMP. with 300 Berger Elites. We shot 7 whitetail bucks in the last 3 years. They were all one shot kills and the damage wasn't severe. My grandson shot his this year right through both front shoulders and the damage wasn't severe. Matt

I know the 338LM is on the surface massive overkill for Mule Deer.
But I'm thinking about taking mine along as a second gun for a hunt in November in case there is an opportunity for long range shooting.

Is there any way to tame the destruction this caliber puts on the carcass? All of the pictures I've seen, it seems that the 338 blows huge holes in the game. Would using target bullets (in hopes of a pass-trough) work? Seems to me it would be like using a bullet like an archery broadhead. A bleed out approach vs a ballistic wallop.

Any input appreciated.
Try a Hornady interlock or interbond.

Nail 'em. If any concern, shoot heart lung area. I've never felt that I lost too much meat with the 300g SMK, 300g Berger OTM, or 300g Berger EH on mule deer. Just back up a ways if you're concerned! :D

That's impressive, but certainly not what I've experienced on several mule deer at ranges from 360 to 540 yds with 300g 'target bullets' doing 2980fps MV with shot placement from lungs to shoulder to neck.

Have you seen that a lot?

That's impressive, but certainly not what I've experienced on several mule deer at ranges from 360 to 540 yds with 300g 'target bullets' doing 2980fps MV with shot placement from lungs to shoulder to neck.

Have you seen that a lot?

What are you using to get 2980fps?

I would be inclined to use a monolithic in your situation. It should expand to its fullest ability with pass through. Skip the explosive bullets for deer killing with the big 338's in my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.